New Updates for the UI Editor

For someone who never uses the UI editor, such as myself, It’s rather frustrating how you can just drag them freely when you’d rather not have the functionality enabled at all. But since this tool is obviously useful to the majority but not everyone, please consider adding a toggle option.

Although, the UI tab will come in handy.

8 Likes

Absolutely love the features in this new update!

This has broken the Class Change plugin I use when trying to change the class of a GUI object to another class: Class Change by tktech - Roblox

Every time I try to click on the plugin’s interface while a GUI object is selected, the GUI object gets deselected.

Hopefully this new selection behavior can be made optional. I have no use for this behavior, right now it’s just getting in my way - I prefer to just use the explorer and properties menus to edit my UI. I appreciate how it gives new developers an easy way to edit simple UI, but it doesn’t yet have all of the tools (such as scaling options) to create serious UI for a game that will work on all screen sizes.

Edit: I’m able to use the plugin once I disable the UI editor. However, the editor probably shouldn’t be interfering with plugin usage regardless.

24 Likes

This is why I never used it

2 Likes

While this is a fantastic update, there are many issues in this thread that need to be addressed.

Personally, I would love to see an option in Studio’s settings to allow the UI ribbon menu be open all the time, turned off permanently, or have an option for it’s current behavior.

But having it forcefully change your tabs everytime you select any GUI object feels intrusive to me.

You should also not auto-select GUI objects when clicking on an object in the 3D workspace - this should be an option for developers if they so choose to use it.

3 Likes

PSA: Disable the UI editor by going to:

%localappdata%\Roblox\Versions\version-17545b00677240ae\BuiltInPlugins
(you may need to find the correct version- folder if Roblox updates after this post)

And deleting: UIEditor.rbxmx from the BuiltInPlugins folder.

The UI editor tab will still show up, but it won’t hijack your workflow, display any handles or sink mouse events. Class changer plugins also work now.

53 Likes

Thank you!
Although let’s hope they add more official support though lol

Also it’s not that I dislike the new editor… it’s just annoying having it all the time… It’s actually pretty cool I guess, I just don’t want to use it all the time.

4 Likes

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/guys-you-can-use-the-ui-editor-with-scale/136281

I know a lot are wanting a scale update, I do too. This works for now.

I accidentally dragged something, pressed undo, then got this error which broke some expected functionality of the UI editor

17:16:58.676 - Stack Begin
17:16:58.677 - Script 'Plugin_-1.UIEditor.Resize', Line 334 - upvalue updateHandlePositionFromExtents
17:16:58.678 - Script 'Plugin_-1.UIEditor.Resize', Line 498 - method updatePosition
17:16:58.679 - Script 'Plugin_-1.UIEditor.main', Line 417
17:16:58.679 - Stack End

I don’t understand, it works with scale for me?

If you insert a new element and rescale it, it scales with offset.

1 Like

Ohhhh

In the past version the tool respected what you used in your elements. If a button, for example, was positioned and sized with scale only (and absolutely no offset), then it would work with scale.

I believe the behavior hasn’t changed.

1 Like

Why would this be an issue though?

I think having it decide if it scales, uses offset, or both, should be determined if the part has a size of (1,0,1,0), (1,300, 1,100) or (0,100,0,100.)

Otherwise it makes it a bit more difficult for developers using offset and vice versa.

As others have said, the UI editor is nice, but it needs to have an option to be disabled. I’ve accidentally moved a gui object more times than I have purposefully.

15 Likes

I was trying to use Quenties class converter plugin, but apparently this new UI editor ignores plugin GUIs, so when I hit the button to convert, it selected the frame right BEHIND the plugin’s button, and then converted that to the object I had selected, and when I hit undo it just permanently deleted all of the children of the frame, so I lost an entire menu. Awesome.

13 Likes

whose idea was it to not make this toggleable lol. deleted the plugin instantly because i don’t want to use it all of the time.

edit:
it’s a great update and seems cool. but seriously, a simple on/off button is a must for something that will capture your input so often.

1 Like

(Bug?)Having your UI in a folder will make it so that your UI isn’t selectable by the editor. Our UI is structured this way so I didn’t actually notice the editor was enabled.

Ex:

https://i.gyazo.com/e01a98caf57e551558fe0ee65031f71f.mp4

15 Likes

How to disable the editor lmao

8 Likes

That