New Updates to the Toolbox!

Hey Developers!

We have some exciting new updates for you in Toolbox! Our team has been working super hard to bring you some awesome new features.

We have three main updates for you:

1. Splitting Inventory and Marketplace
  2. Detailed Asset Previews
  3. Search by Creator in Marketplace

Splitting Inventory and Marketplace

Instead of the Toolbox using one cumulative drop-down menu, we have split it up into three overarching tabs: Marketplace, Inventory, and Recent. Marketplace has all publicly available items that are shared with the community and Inventory has all items that you have created or specifically added via the website.

This will make searching for your assets easier and improve your workflows.

Detailed Asset Preview

The next improvement we’ve done is granting you the ability to preview certain assets before inserting them into your workspace! To preview, hover over an asset and a magnifier icon will appear in the top right corner. Clicking this will then open up a preview window. This preview capability is available for Models, Meshes and Images.

Opening up the preview window will give you detailed information about the asset, such as creator, last updated date, and ratings. Additionally, for Models and Meshes, you will see a 3D interactive preview which will let you zoom, pan and navigate around the objects. Last but not least, for Models, you will be able to see a tree view of contents that are contained within the Model. By navigating through the tree view, you can also 3D preview components in isolation!

Search by Creator in Marketplace

Finally, we have implemented the ability to search for assets by specific creators in the Marketplace. To take advantage of this, click on the filter icon on the right side of the search bar. Then, indicate the creator you would like to search for in the creator search bar! Searching by creator will work with or without a keyword search term.

Big shoutout to our amazing team: @portenio, @OuNissan, @ZeroIndex, @iriszh, @westbyz80, @St4rst0n3, and @longlongchien!

We hope you enjoy these new features and would appreciate any feedback you may have. Please leave your comments and feedback below!

324 Likes

This is a great update and allows developers to show-off the models they’re giving out freely to other developers.

21 Likes

Much-needed update to find high quality models and good modelers easily!

17 Likes

About time! Thank you, Roblox! We appreciate your hard work!

9 Likes

Very cool! Glad the toolbox got a detailed update! Great job with this!

7 Likes

Thank you so much!!! This will literally save me so much time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hopefully this means normal users can find hidden backdoors in models without having to inject them into their game first… (Though I doubt they would know what a backdoor script looks like DX)

Thanks for the update! Organization is key for an efficient workflow!

5 Likes

Those tabs are genius, great work! I’m looking forward to using this :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This is nice for me, I always back up things I use often in my games to the toolbox, so this is a great update for me what with the tabs and such :3

3 Likes

One would think that there is such a thing as too many amazing updates in a day. One would think wrongly.

5 Likes

Finally! The toolbox really needed some work. And, now it will be a lot more easier to navigate around the studio!

3 Likes

Love the update, has been needing a re-do for a long time and now looks stunning!

5 Likes

Since you can’t just read the scripts in the model from the toolbox, I doubt you would be able to find backdoors in models without injection ( to actually read the scripts ).

5 Likes

The toolbox really needed an update in my opinion. Glad to here we finally got one!

3 Likes

Extremely useful! But for the name to change to Marketplace means that there’s a possibility of paid models existing in a near future?

10 Likes

Well, if you’re just getting (for example) a seat model, it shouldn’t have any scripts in it :stuck_out_tongue:

All I can say is I hope people using free models are more aware of what they are actually getting now!

5 Likes

Great work on updating the toolbox Roxy’s team. (i cant name them all)

5 Likes

Finally, that old toolbox was just terrible. Caused a lot of problems.

7 Likes

I really like this update. I feel like now that we have more and more catalogs within the studio app the library on the website is becoming more and more useless (except for plugins). Are you guys planning on migrating everything from the library page to studio eventually and then discontinuing the library? I honestly wouldn’t mind either way.

7 Likes

Another great early Christmas gift! Awesome update! This allows us do more in studio without an extra tab. Great Cheers! :heart:

5 Likes