NexGen Research Complete Overhaul Progress Update

Progress Update On Everything

Yes everything… :clown_face:

Hello again, and first off let me apologize once again for the lack up game updates or progress updates about what’s going on currently. Also quick fyi this is gonna be longish post so find somewhere comfortable get yourself a monster, coffee, tea or whatever else you prefer motor oil, coolant, etc and sit down.

Update when? Glad you asked here’s what I’ve been up to and also what I plan to do.

• I’ve completed V3 of the IntellacoreOS backend :derp:. To put it simply V2 was really bad and I mean really really bad. It was hard to maintain, hard to add and remove features along with it just in general being super unstable and throwing errors randomly into the console. Oh and not to mention the lack of uniformity between all of the endpoints which made using it a pain. The new one solves all of those issues, adds some more features and also has a improved authentication handler which allows for greater flexibility and security.

• The Current task at hand is scripting the new EicOS bot for the NexGen Research community communication server, I’m making it a bit more stable, hopefully making user experience better and adding some new features along with support for multiple guilds public division groups soon:tm:???.

• Two newish backend systems: RBLXDatastore, a external managed database which allows for greater flexibility of storage of game and play data from games other than the NGRF. Then the EicOSLogger, with V3 of the IntellacoreOS backend I ripped the logger system out and it will now be a separate system which will be able to handle logs for multiple different games and their places.

• Better Authentication Manager:tm: The current authentication manager for the NGRF Development Branch is rather buggy as it sometimes allows unauthorized players into the game while kicking authorized players. I plan to work on a newer system to make this more reliable and efficient. Along with this the functionality of the beta access system has changed. The previous opt-in Project Tester system required you joined our group and our Discord server which you had to run a special command in for a group rank. The new Beta Tester system grants you access to the NGRF Development Branch automatically after you join and verify in our Discord server. Once you join the NGRF Development Branch you’ll be given the tester rank.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd The actual thing you’re here for most likely: The NGRF

• So yeah you most likely heard I’m redoing the NGRF. Why? For science of course Here’s the three main reasons:
  1. Codebase is horrible again :weary:. It isn’t as bad as Area 19, the NGRF’s scripting since the beginning was 100 times better than Area 19’s clumsy system made up of tons of unoptimized scripts in each model. While this is better, it can be way better, I’ve found a more efficient method for storing run time variables while I didn’t think of this before instead of using value objects everywhere I don’t know. Also since I’m changing up a lot of stuff I’d need to rewrite some code so I decided I might as well rewrite it all to make it uniform. I also intent to make stuff more m o d u l a r as previously I was super proud of my single script per system system now I’m regretting that as it makes it a pain to modify stuff. (Still this is way better than Area 19)
  1. New assets, facility layout and asset optimization. Basically almost everything is getting scrapped the only really the only parts to get saved are the Entrance Zone A lift bay lobbies, the lift shaft (with a bunch of improvements) the topside lift lobbies however have been removed.
  1. To allow the NGRF to follow the original design plans. Due to well lack of motivation on my part the NGRF’s design changed a decent amount from the originally intended design.
  • So what will be new? E V E R Y T H I N G
  1. Basically a completely new facility layout you might find some slight resemblance to the current layout as the facility was originally being built following the original design plans but it shifted to the current design. This new design will more closely resemble the real life
    [ Redacted ] Facility.
  2. Brand new transit system(s). Primarily when entering the facility you will now have to take the automated blue line shuttle to the central transit hub. This area will feature the actual blast doors which allow the facility to survive nuclear blasts lorewise. The green line will continue to be the main transit line for passenger transportation around the facility, however the new system will be completely revamped with new trains, announcements, tunnels and layout. The new green line will actually share tunnels and stations with the orange line the main automated cargo line for the NGRF, it will utilize different transit vehicles which will open to the service stations opposite to the passenger station. While the silver line the manually controlled freight transit system will operate in separate tunnels. The red line tram system will provide secure access for authorized personal to Sector X. All of these transit systems will feature depots finally.
  3. A central transit will connect all the different entrance zones, A (The primary personal entrance), B (The newer secondary personal entrance), C (The cargo/freight entrance) and D (Originally Entrance Zone A which accessed the NexGen Research Center, the facility that came before the NGRF and exists between the new facility, this entrance zone now serves as a backup maintenance and emergency evacuation route) to the all of the different transit lines for access to all of the different facility areas.
  4. Currency system DEMO. An experimental currency system will be added. You’ll automatically start out with a certain amount of in game money which will be determined later one before it is added in. Currently the only way to acquire currency is by playing the game and automatically receiving it ever couple minutes. In the future I plan to add jobs and quests you can do to acquire in game currency there might also be daily login bonuses or other ways to acquire currency. I will say right now that I do not plan to make in game currency purchasable with Robux. Here’s a few plans for uses of in game currency, furnishing for your dormitory, lab and office, in game gear and tools. Currency will just be earnable at first and there won’t really be anything to purchase with it. (This will mainly be done to allow me to test the efficiency and functionality of the database system).
  5. New facility areas, the facility will now contain a few more sectors/complexes. Sector A (Administrative complex, HQ for divisions like security armory will be located here, you’ll also be able to claim a customizable office here). Sector B (Main laboratory sector, you’ll be able to preform various experiments here, some fun, while some will follow real life science. You’ll also be able to clain a customizable lab here for conducting small scale experiments). Sector C (Recreational sector, this new sector will feature a food court, recreational activity areas such as a swimming pool, gymnasium, theatre and the employee dormitories/apartments, you’ll be able to claim one and customize it. Sector D (The maintenance sector one of the most important sectors, dedicated entirely to up keep of the NGRF, excluding power production, stuff such as power management, water treatment, waste management, storage warehouses, networking systems, climate control systems and various other systems necessary to keep the facility running). Sector E (The reactor sector, most likely the one everyone will be excited about, the name is self explanatory, it will house the facility’s primary power production reactor. Not much has been planned for the reactor yet but it will most likely be some type of fusion reactor).
  6. New in game administrative system, the NGRF and basically every other NexGen game will feature a new custom inhouse administrative system which will add in a decent amount of moderative tools which will tie into the IntellacoreOS framework and an anti-exploit. This admin system will most likely also be used to give the promised but undecided on in game perks to legacy members and legacy testers.
  7. New user interfaces. Most likely one of the most boring things. The menu will be slightly upgraded to look a bit better. A user panel will be added which will display inventory items and currency along with in game settings. New toast message UIs, leaderboard and possibly a custom chat system. Along with this there will also be new rank tags which will allow support for display names and rank titles with division support.
  8. Some other stuff than I cannot currently think of or will come up with randomly in my spare time.

So yeah sorry for the super long post but hopefully this should give you all the information you might want about the new updates coming soon.
Here’s a little sneak peak of the new lift transition area: eletzb_ngrf2_test - YouTube

This post may be updated with more information in the future.

• However if you would like to stay up to date with our projects please visit our Github page: NexByteSystems · GitHub You will also find a link there in the links repository to our Taiga (The project management system we use kind of like Trello) which usually shows the most up to date status of what is currently being worked on.

• Make sure to also check out our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxeoxIQApKzbMdynNt8HdA We sometimes post videos demoing new updates prior to beta release there, you’ll also find a bunch of old unfunny joke videos there.

• And if you want to keep the most up to date about what’s going on at NexGen Research along with gaining access to the NGRF Development Branch in the near future make sure to checkout our Discord server if you’re over 13 the invite can be found in the social links of the NexGen Research group: NexGen Research - Roblox

Otherwise thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings about new updates this was a really long post and it even took me a while to type out.
iialexidai | Director of NexGen Research

2 Likes