No PlaybackSpeed modifier for SoundGroups

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to leverage SoundGroups to apply a multiplicative PlaybackSpeed to sounds the same way we currently can with Volume. SoundGroups are a great solution for fine tuning audio quality and control in experiences given its nature to handle multiple different sounds in a specific way just by assigning the Sound to a group.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would not have to rely on the workaround of tracking every single sound instance in my experience, hooking into the changed pipeline and adding my own PlaybackSpeed attributes (on SoundGroups and the Sound instance itself) in order to mimic the multiplicative behaviour given by SoundGroups natively. I would just need to appoint a Sound to a SoundGroup to have the multiplicative pitch applied.

PitchShiftSoundEffect does not work for my use case because it only modifies the playback pitch but does not affect other playback such as speed and tempo and its use also tends to lose some quality but that’s an unrelated issue and I only need to point out why PitchShift doesn’t work for me.

10 Likes

Can imagine a good use case for this is slow motion. Would be very challenging to do that in a fully built out game with thorough sound design, and not doing it would be extremely goofy and kill the effect.

Distortion effects from e.g. poison could also benefit.

4 Likes