Non stackable transparency

preface: this feature has been requested before in somewhat similar ways but never like this

So pretty much I want it so that there is an option where if there are multiple parts that have transparencies > 0 it just applies the transparency of the first/largest/smallest part w/ transparency (an option, possible of Workspace models).
I feel like this could improve aesthetics as well as efficiency in rendering because you wouldn’t have to render all of the transparencies and how they affect each other (especially if it’s the first part closest to the camera on that pixel ray (idk what it’s called))

A good example:

13 Likes

Im confused why you’d want this. You mention “improving aesthetics” could you elaborate on that? What would this enable us to do that we cannot do already?

It would turn something like this:
Screen Shot
Into this:
Screen Shot 1
It would also accomplish the same result when things do not intersect (which cannot be done with unions):

1 Like

Acreol, do you think this would fix the issue of having multiple transparent Parts that switch between being visible when you rotate the camera, similar to when 2 surfaces are rendered at the same distance from the camera and you get the z-fighting issue?

I’m not sure what you mean, but if you mean if two parts are placed perfectly on top of each other and they glitch then yea definitely because it would just make one of them invisible XD.

But why do you want this?

Have you seen what happens when transparent items are in front of each other? The graphics engine has issues trying to render the one closest to the camera. That’s why transparent parts will flash in front of each other when you move the camera around.

I believe that’s what Acreol is trying to fix with this suggestion.

If two transparent parts are having issues rendering like that and are z-fighting or flickering, that sounds like a bug that should be reported rather than a feature request.

I understand the effect now, but I’m not sure how Acereol would plan to use this effect. Perhaps there is a better method to accomplish his currently impossible task but Im still not sure what that task is.

Here’s how I’d plan to use it:
Here is a transparent object.

Notice anything wrong? You can see the faces on the inside. It all layers on top of each other and looks bad.
But, if there was a property for Models which would make its parts render transparency like this…

That would look a whole lot better.

10 Likes

I think this is quite a niche request, and most people would probably prefer the current set up. What you want would hella confuse me in game.

This is why it would be a property for Models. Obviously this would look weird and disorientating if it was on by default, but in certain cases like mine it would look better.

5 Likes

Right you might want to put that in your OP

The glass material kind of does this, but I think that’s not an intentional feature. Works for now, though.

2 Likes