Nonuniform Unions: Now Available on Production

Yay! Excited for this update, great job!

4 Likes

Is anyone else besides me getting the broken images in this thread?

24 Likes

Been noticing a lot of announcement posts getting the broken images. :thinking:

Regardless, very nice that its an option to have it be on or off :+1:
Being able to keep it is always a plus.

4 Likes

I had a question, when I export a union into and obj and load it into blender, it is crazy, with all sorts or random seeming verts and faces, just a real mess.

Is this the way it actually is in the roblox game, after its been constructed from the cloud parts? or do unions just not export accurately into an .obj

1 Like

Unfortunately what you see is what you get: That extra geometry is where unions get the reputation for being low performance. As I mentioned above you can carefully do your unions in such a way that you don’t end up with the extra geometry, however most people aren’t interested in putting in that extra work or don’t know how (no fault of their own, we don’t exactly have a guide on how to do so).

9 Likes

since the introduction of non-uniform scaling beta, I have experienced major issues with unions not scaling and subsequently shrinking in production. This shrinking behavior is only applicable to live versions. This supposedly was shared with the engineers, but It effects 1 in every 3 unions of mine.

This thread shows images of the shrinking. The unions in my games are shrinking

1 Like

Could you PM me an example of an affected model?

2 Likes

Please correct me if I’m wrong but, would it be accurate to say that a Union will perform exactly the same as a Mesh with an identical TriangleCount?

Ever since CSGv3, it’s become much easier to create simple (but important) unions like rhombus and non-scale triangles that are often needed when building at an angle with TriangleCounts as low as 12 (which as far as I can tell, is as low as you can possibly go).

This ability to create such efficient Unions, and now this new nonuniform scaling feature has really empowered me and my team to use CSG far more, where we would have had to use MeshParts before.

2 Likes

I have almost every post that not mine with this images, instead of normal ones. It’s weird.

Also, new nonuniform unions are just awesome. But I think mesh parts are still better?
Also, I have 1 question - will be unions nonuniform scale with script changes?

1 Like

I love this. I’ve been waiting for ages for an update like this, and I can’t be the only one.

2 Likes

Unions scaling uniformly was one of the biggest reasons I never used Unions, this helps and saves me a lot of time. Thank you so much for doing this!:+1:

1 Like

Has anyone else noticed some of the images in this announcement are failing to load?
(Again!)

(
Screenshot_20220817-002816

)

1 Like

Issue here: what if union embedded script and set to boot by migration?

That’s why it’s a three-phase rollout :slight_smile:, to give you time to deal with stuff that the migration can’t automatically do for you! If you have some more complex cases like scripts that dynamically create unions you’ll probably want to set the rollout to Disabled and take some time make sure that your interactions still work right / adjust the scripts if necessary before you Enable it.

2 Likes

And will staff do same to models in creator market place?

No, the owners of those models will have to update them if they so choose, we don’t intervene and modify marketplace content for people (outside of removing inappropriate content).

As noted at the end of the post I’ll publish a plugin and/or Lua code that can be used to migrate a model in the future post rollout to deal with affected marketplace content that people still want to use.

Also the images in the post should be fixed now!

1 Like

This is actually really useful. It’ll be much easier to build things without meshes with the ability to stretch unions in one direction. This update definitely needed to be made, thanks Roblox!

It seems features you’re involved in always have nice care taken to help developers migrate, e.g. the care taken with the release process for the new draggers, the plugin built to help with the audio privacy issue, and now the migration feature here. Not sure if you had a primary hand in all of these, but the time and effort invested into handling these things carefully and thoughtfully is super appreciated.

5 Likes

I’m probably going to like that update.

um this union or parts update idk ruined a lot of my models that now are all glitched. the textures on part spheres are rendering in a position before it wasn’t, builds are all messed up because of the spheres and cylinders used on it. and i dont feel like fixing it because roblox likes to break everything, please fix the damaged and bad resized unions and parts now. and leave them as they were. because is so annoying having to fix 100+ things that are rigged and animated already.

1 Like