Nonuniform Unions: Now Available on Production

This is actual magic. What the hell. How did you guys get this working?

One extra feature I would like from this update is nonuniform spheres. I can turn a sphere into a union and scale that, but it would be better if that also worked for spherical parts.

1 Like

Today I went into studio to edit on a place I had unions stored in ServerStorage, moved it to workspace and it appeared that the unions refused to load. The unionsā€™ size remained unchanged. This didnā€™t occur in any previous attempts that I recall.

Iā€™m not entirely sure what happened, Iā€™m just posting here because I suspect thereā€™s a link between this and the update.

Sounds unlikely, this change only affects how the renderer uses the mesh once itā€™s loaded, it doesnā€™t affect loading of the mesh.

Is it reproducible (can you make it happen multiple times)? If not it could have been a one-off error due to the Union contents failing to load from the cloud.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I reopened studio tonight and took the exact actions I did as when I wrote the original reply.

The unions seemed to have loaded in accordingly and are visible. It probably was just a one-off bug. I donā€™t always know, though. I find Roblox Studio to easily screw up unions the longer they are used, so if I tried to edit a union from a place I last edited three years ago the API might have a fit.

Just an update: Iā€™m going to enable this by default on Monday, the 29th. Had planned to turn it on this Monday but a lot of people were still running the migration so I held off and now itā€™s tapering off a bit so Iā€™m going to move forwards.

3 Likes

Itā€™s monday! Woohoo! Weekends over, kids

Can you try to fix the issue where if you union one part, you can only make it bigger and smaller, like a 2_part union

Update: Default now means Enabled.

Currently live servers will dynamically switch to the new behavior.

That means you may see a brief period of ~45 minutes where server and client collision geometry are out of sync if you have nonuniform unions in your place and hadnā€™t explicitly set UnionsScaleNonuniformly to Enabled yet.

You can still explicitly switch the setting to Enabled to run the migration if you had not yet.

1 Like

It took me a really long time to notice that the update actually happened because I donā€™t normally work with unions. This is one of the best improvements Iā€™ve seen in a while and it is a major improvement to development time.

Hi all,

Weā€™re going to be completing this rollout reasonably soon, so the old migration codepath will be going away. As promised earlier, hereā€™s a plugin which will perform the migration on the selected content: Nonuniform Union Migrator [Official] - Roblox

2 Likes

Unfortunately, with the release of version 560 & the fonts update, nonuniform unions are now forced and can no longer be disabled. Hereā€™s the pic:

Screenshot_20230126_074728

Yes, thatā€™s intentional. The three-phase rollout has ended.

Install the plugin linked above and use that if you still need to migrate old content in the future.

Can you update the Workspace Flag Removed date from TBD to January 26, 2023? The same time as version 560 & the fonts update was released.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.