Notched Screen Support - FULL RELEASE

The camera FOV adjustment seems like a sudden, negative change. The rest of the changes for notched screens seem pretty smooth and don’t require much developer intervention, but this FOV change impacts all games which ran under the long-standing expectation that the character view and the 2D UI space would both be centered and aligned properly.

Even if this change doesn’t outright break anything, this is still a bad change for players. Normally in our game, the crosshair (which is on the 2D UI at 0.5 X position) is straight ahead of you, so you can kick the ball fully straight - but now it’s off-center, so all the shots you were familiar with taking will now be slightly off. It doesn’t feel great that this change is being served to players with no warning.

Beyond that, it just feels really gross that the game’s entire UI is now off-center compared to where the character actually is.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback on this!

The goal of the current A/B test is to gather data on how game performance is affected by enabling notch support (because more pixels are rendered under the notch). We aren’t currently planning on releasing asymmetrical safe insets, which would lead to the misalignment issues you mentioned.

We are still planning on releasing the symmetrical safe insets that are detailed in the original post. With the symmetrical insets, the center of the 3D viewport remains aligned with the center of 2D UI space.

3 Likes

for fullscreen iPhones I was thinking maybe the UI doesn’t reach the bottom in landscape mode to account for the iPhones “bar” thing’s massive hitbox

portrait mode is fine

Hi all, we just turned on notch support for 95% of users on mobile phones! (iPhone X or later, and Android OS 9 or higher).

Please let us know if you hear about any new bugs/issues in your games! Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the feedback! We currently include the iOS home indicator as part of the landscape safe area due to the limited vertical real estate on mobile phones.

If we added an Enum.ScreenInsets option which did not include the home indicator area, would that work for your usecase?

Another option could be to add an ScreenGui.ExcludeOSOverlaysFromSafeArea boolean to make sure OS overlays like the home bar are not part of the safe area of all of the inset types?

1 Like

I’ve noticed a bug where the inventory is not properly putting the gears in the desired spot

1 Like

I recently noticed my ui getting messed up in my game without changing anything and after reading this I would assume this is the issue.

The red buttons, the minimap, and the Roblox buttons should be all the way to the left, now there’s just a weird gap between the buttons and the left side of the screen

Please read the details in the main post - there is a detailed description of how the UI insets work.

If the device has a notch or a camera cutout, the UI will be inset. What device did you use to capture that screenshot? Can you show what it looks like on the actual device?

Can you reach out directly to @stadium_parkour2 and I with example code that reproduces the issue? Thanks.

Thanks for the report, could you please share the place id where this is occurring?

This is the place ID 815405518

This issue also occurs in any game that has items that can be moved around with the Roblox inventory system.

This is image of my actual device IRL: iphone 11

The symmetrical inset is not good for my game’s side button UI.

The UI is supposed to be at border of screen to make user feel like they have space. In this before and after, “Before” is superior in design and placement.

It is about priorities for me. User experience is most important, more so than the small “useless” space around the notch.

Please make setting to choose one or the other and allow developers to control how their screen gui appear on devices.

EDIT: I read you guys are planning on adding more settings like asymmetry. Hope these come soon.

6 Likes

Hi there, I used a iPhone 12 and the picture was just a screen shot, here is a picture showing the whole phone

I took the time to read the whole post and learnt that I wanted my ui to be “Edged Anchored”

I prefer my ui to be all the way to the left side of the screen as I do not like the gap (I want it to take up as less space of the gameplay as possible), there is also a post above me explaining the same preference

I’ve tried messing around with the new inset options but I couldn’t find a way to make the ui work for my preference.

Edit : I also found out asymmetrical options might be added, hoping they will!

4 Likes

OK thanks! Yes it looks like a bug with the built-in backpack. I’ll let you know when I have an update on this!

2 Likes

It’s broken and makes it weird and unusual to press the gui’s for some reaon.Oh and no options? Again?? Just straight forcing you into this :expressionless:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that! Would you be able to share some screenshots/screen recordings of what is breaking? Thanks!

One of the problems i get is changing items order in games with default inventory hud. It seems like i need to drag and place the tools to the left instead of the center for them to be there.

And other thing is just that it’s unusual and seems like i need to adapt all the time for such updates because there is sadly no option.

3 Likes

Why was this suddenly enabled for nearly all mobile players without any advance notice for developers?

This has been listed as a Studio Beta the whole time, and I had no idea this was going to be imminently released to the general public. I hadn’t started the conversion process because it was not clear whether this system was finalized or whether there were still going to be more changes to how this works. I would’ve expected there to be some kind of advance notice/release date if these changes were locked in and set for full release - now our games’ full-screen UIs are borked, and I only found out about this because a player reported it, so I’m suddenly gonna have to spend tonight fixing our UIs.

Anytime potentially breaking changes are introduced to the Roblox API, there’s always a very clear migration period communicated to us - it should be no different for these UI changes. Frustrating that this is being treated as something that can just be freely flipped on/off without any advance communication.

11 Likes

Thanks for reporting this (also reported here), the backpack offset bug should be fixed in the next release!

For most simple UIs, no manual work should be needed to have the UI work on notched displays (due to the automatic adaptation strategies listed here).

However, we added several properties to ScreenGui to allow you to customize safe area insets and automatic background expansion if you would like.

1 Like

The Studio emulator is bugged. I copied and pasted my unmodified UI onto a blank baseplate, and while I’m in edit mode (not running the game) Studio shows the UI automatically extending to fill the full screen, but when I actually play the game, it does not fill the screen.

The same is true if I just use a ScreenGui with one Frame in it (size 1, 0, 1, 0)

3 Likes