Notched Screen Support - FULL RELEASE

Thanks for reporting these bugs!

1 Like

Hi, have you filed a bug report for the issue you are describing?

I just tried first person camera by setting game.Players.LocalPlayer.CameraMode=Enum.CameraMode.LockFirstPerson and I wasn’t able to see any issues with the device emulator?

1 Like

This is a great step for Roblox. But, in the future, can support for smartphone foldable devices be added? Like changing the position of the GUI when it is folded or something?

1 Like

Not sure if this is possible but, could we maybe get support for notched MacBooks as well? Currently IIRC the top part where the notch should be is just a black bar that spans the width of the screen.

3 Likes

Playing Roblox with a folded screen is not really ergonomic, except if the game devs add something like on Nintendo ds/3ds

1 Like

Small but effective! This will allow a lot of people to be able to finally feel the entire full game experience. Nice!

1 Like

Hi all, just FYI we turned off this beta feature temporarily due to a TeamCreate bug that some developers reported. If this beta feature was on, ScreenGui.IgnoreGuiInset wouldn’t save to TeamCreate places. We plan to fix this bug and re-enable the beta in early January.

Now that the beta feature is off, ScreenGui.IgnoreGuiInset should save correctly.

2 Likes

Found an odd bug that causes a frame with the scale X and Y set to 1 to appear funky weird on emulating devices that do not have notched screens when the SafeAreaCompatibility property of ScreenGui is set to FullscreenExtension only after emulating on a device with notched screen support, e.g,:

1. 1080p device, SAC set to FullscreenExtension:
  2. iPhone X, SAC remains the same:
  3. Back to 1080p and oh dear what’s happened here?:

Temporary workaround is to set SAC to None then change it back, but bug persists after emulating a device with notched screen support. I am not using teamcreate and if it’s important, the anchorpoint is set to 0.5,0.5 with the position being the same for scale.

1 Like

The player will perceive the entire screen including the left side where the notch is in your screenshot. The UI will feel lopsided and can also get pushed into the rounded corners, unless we have the safe area present on both sides.

2 Likes

We’d like to look into this but can’t say when this will happen yet.

3 Likes

my cursor gets locked in the middle of the screen in device emulator on pc

update: for some reason know it seem fixed and only happens for a few seconds when i press a key on my keyboard :+1:

1 Like

Love this! Also will there be a way to use the screen GUI directly on the screen notches?

1 Like

As a notched MacBook user I concur that bringing this to Mac would be extremely beneficial as well!

3 Likes

Hi all, we have fixed the Team Create bugs and re-enabled the Notched Screen Support beta feature!
Please let us know if you run into any issues with Team Create + notch support!

4 Likes

We haven’t added Google Pixel phones to the Studio Device Emulator, but Google Pixel 5-7 displays are similar geometrically to these emulation devices you can try: Samsung Galaxy A51 and Xiaomi Redmi Note 9.

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for the feedback! There currently isn’t a way to detect what type of notch/screen cutout is present on a device. However, you can detect regions onscreen which might contain a screen cutout. These regions make up the unsafe area, aka anywhere outside the safe area. You can find the safe area inset dimensions using this code.

2 Likes

From a design POV, you’ll likely want to design 1 UI layout and then the system will adjust for you, rather than try to design for and around every type of different notch (unless I’m missing some insanely creative idea you have!).

If you want background elements to cover the entire screen including the area around the notch, you can do this.

2 Likes

I think we should be given the option to hide it. No iPhone user doesn’t know that it’s not there at this point.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m having trouble getting the touchTap position because the notch is getting in the way, not sure if this is a bug or if there’s a way to fix it.

this is my code

local function Activate(overridePos : Vector2)
        local result = self.Mouse:Raycast(self.raycastParams, 1000, overridePos)
        local position = if result then result.Position else self.Mouse:Project(1000, overridePos)
        BackpackRemotes:Get("ActivateTool"):SendToServer(self.Instance, position)
    end

-- Mobile

self.Touch.TouchTap:Connect(function(touchPositions, processed)
        if processed then return end
        if #touchPositions > 1 then return end
        local position = touchPositions[1]
        Activate(Vector2.new(position.X + guiInsetSize.X, position.Y + guiInsetSize.Y))
    end)

if inputType == "Touch" then return end

-- Pc

self.Mouse.LeftDown:Connect(function()
        Activate(self.Mouse:GetPosition())
    end)

– videos

https://gyazo.com/9c0d3bca8d171201d451e611ed012ed0

https://gyazo.com/58b63de3e6e7e6f2d0705632f6c1629d

also the roblox examples were also affected by this

https://gyazo.com/6fdd3669e9630a9bf54a9cb2c6ee1dac

1 Like

Hi, it looks like your videos are showing the input position for the TouchTap event is incorrectly offset on the iPhone 14 Pro device. This is a known bug that has been fixed in Studio v559, please let me know if this is still broken after this Wednesday!

This section of the post has a list of the notch support status of different APIs: Notched Screen Support [Studio Beta]

2 Likes