Notice: Review of Recent Off-Platform Behavior

This sounds great and all but it’s just going to end up being a slap on the wrist. The particular developer everyone thinks this is about makes Roblox way too much money for them to do anything harsher than saying ‘that was wrong, don’t do it again’

2 Likes

Thank you Roblox, thank you for taking action against this.
This should never happen again, it’s just sad that someone was doing this.

2 Likes

Agreed. The developer earned over $150,000 from the auction. If other developers do this then what’s the point in Robux? The entire idea behind Robux is that it’s the only currency that can be used to buy virtual assets within Roblox games. If people are able to spend Dollars for pets in games then roblox will lose out on revenue, and smaller developers will miss out big time.

4 Likes

Personally I think that they might not get away with it. What hasn’t been talked about is that the developer essentially lied about clearing it up with Roblox. You can see it from the wording of the post. If they had a line of communication already, they would’ve stopped the transaction instead of investigating it now. Knowing how NFTs have a very negative impact on PR, Roblox might clobber down on them for that alone.

2 Likes

I hope Roblox doesnt take the game in question down completely. Should be clear that the punishment should go to the developer, not the community. If the community is punished by having a large game that millions of people play removed, then it makes the punishment less sincere. Roblox should consider fining the developer $150,000 which is the amount of money he made from the NFT auction.

If roblox does nothing, which i fear will happen, then other large games will follow - making millions of dollars not for the work that they put into their games, but for stupid NFT pets. The way roblox proceeds with this case will determine how roblox is as a company in future.

2 Likes

The game will be taken down if they do take action. They blatantly promised in-game rewards/chat tags/boosts as part of the etherium transactions. It is against ToS to give benefits in a roblox game in exchange for currency.

3 Likes

The reason why there is so much hesitation in Roblox taking consequences because they are speaking about the multi-award winning Big Games. Big Games are very famous and make Roblox lots of money so they are hesitant.

2 Likes

Can you imagine the investor response if Roblox takes one of the largest games on their platform down?

2 Likes

Well Roblox would basically then be waving goodbye to a big developer.

3 Likes

As if they cared about it lol. Most investors are either roblox devs or people that don’t give a rats booty about the platform lol

3 Likes

This has been happening for years with my work too, not NFT’s but stuff being stolen by 3rd party software and then people selling it to others etc.

1 Like

Finally, we can do something about nfts in this community, that’s just scummy.

2 Likes

This is a profoundly underrated point. Roblox provides Studio, the website, and the payment, and in return the developer must agree to be a member of their ecosystem. With a top earning game, the Roblox revenue share within that does subsidize the millions of other experiences that have to host servers for small groups of friends hanging out not spending anything. Skirting outside of this ecosystem for extra revenue that Roblox has no way of taking a cut of while using the benefits from Roblox’s algorithm (favoring the game in question by providing a feedback loop based on high concurrent player counts) is not only a slap to the face to Roblox. The actions of a developer going off platform to auction off in game items that would otherwise be sold for high amounts of Robux is also a slap to the face to every developer who play by the rules and thereby helps every other developer out via feeding Roblox’s continued success for free server hosting and therefore low barrier to entry into game development.

31 Likes

Finally, Roblox did something about it.

3 Likes

I completely agree the developer should be punished, but is taking down a game that millions of people enjoy a suitable punishment. Fining the developer or increasing Tax for him etc would also be a suitable punishment.

1 Like

Great point! Hadn’t thought of it that way

2 Likes

That + more would’ve happened to any other developer. It is suitable enough.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear about the actions being done, but I’d like some official statement about merchandise which gives codes to games.

It’s a physical product and I believe said auction selling a non-physical “token” was an excuse for selling actual in-game item for currency. I think Murder Mystery 2 does merchandise with codes, but I’m not sure?

It’s also worth remembering that many Roblox toy codes can give exclusive items in games (eg. Arsenal).

I really hope merchandise can be accepted in some way.

8 Likes

I believe, most people are misunderstanding this post itself. Preston (likely) sought out permission from Roblox.

This will not end in Preston being deleted or majorly punished, the only severity I can see happening is a simple warning. Although, Let’s assume he DID infact ask for permission, then this post in that context makes most sense.

Roblox is doing an “internal review” which means they are reviewing the decision they made internally to allow the NFT’s to be greenlit. (If he did get the green light to go)

Roblox, are in turn updating their policy as a precaution for the future to clarify. This was probably caused by the back-lash itself and nothing more.

2 Likes

I am so glad you guys are taking action on this but, I am very concerned for the possible future of this website now that this is exposed out there. I have a feeling this may have influenced a few other developers to follow these steps as well.

I feel like this was a VERY terrible idea for the developer to start doing this since users under the age of 13 would mostly play these front-paged games while they are just promoting a vast scam at them. I don’t find this acceptable at all. Hopefully, you guys can add this to your ToS.

4 Likes