Notice: Review of Recent Off-Platform Behavior

I am really glad to see that ROBLOX is interested in this type of situations, since it feels like a whole new world that can be explored in many ways, but is mostly up to the platform itself to see if it allows these type of stuff

1 Like

I’m delighted to see Roblox taking action on this. Violating ToS is bad enough on its own, and selling NFTs is (in my opinion) bad enough too, but there’s something especially gross to me about marketing expensive NFTs towards young children.

Above all else, Roblox NFTs are utterly unnecessary. Robux is already a digital currency. There is less than no reason to use NFTs; it’s also less secure considering how the Pet Simulator X NFT has already been found, downloaded, and widely circulated. All it does is waste ludicrous amounts of electricity and lure people into the ponzi scheme that is crypto.

9 Likes

Well, if you took note of when CRYPTO BLOXS [sic] tried to start their NFT project, Roblox’s community was quick to jump on that and how cash-grabby of a move it was. It’s a platform for all ages, people, let’s not try and get kids into gambling first thing in the morning.

(CRYPTO BLOXS was never associated with Roblox, for clarification)

9 Likes

I hope they respond with the community’s reaction in mind.

2 Likes

That is the main argument I hear against my stance, and it is completely valid with the current way Roblox functions. With more characters compared to Twitter, I attempted to cover this in my original post: who says the tax on Roblox transactions needs to be the only way we pay for our resources? In theory, if Self-Driving Simulator uses hundreds of dollars worth the servers and I only have VIP servers (i.e. the tax is less than pays for the servers), is that fair for the major games to cover? Not like the huge companies who use Linode pay off my lonely $5/month server that hosts my website and has no transactions. Roblox definitely can’t unlock external payment processing without issues, but that is only if they change nothing else to make up for lost revenue while we use their other services.

2 Likes

This is on the developer to tell you that the items are only usable on the Steam game. Roblox doesn’t have to step in here since it doesn’t invole their platform.

3 Likes

Wasn’t surprise that this was going to happen, absolute W from ROBLOX.

Maybe I’m just misinterpreting what it’s saying, to be fair. The current language in the ToS that attempts to specify what transactions can/can’t be done on 3rd party platforms is pretty bad, as it’s not clear if limiteds/Roblox assets are the only things that cannot be traded or bought on 3rd party platforms.

1 Like

Oh god this thread is going to be a firey pit of hell in a few minutes.

It’s a good thing Roblox are actually addressing this. Though I want to hope the outcome involves the involved party getting punished badly, and not just being left off with a slap on the wrist.

Also, I would hope the TOS gets some clarity on cryptocurrency technologies that (imo) bans them, since this stuff should not be on a kids platform.

12 Likes

That’s an interesting stance on the subject matter.

I personally am hard against NFT because of its environmental impact, however I am open to explore other ways of implementing off-platform sales if that becomes relevant in the future. I don’t think it’s appropriate to sacrifice the environment for a quick buck, though

6 Likes

The Terms of Service are clear. Terminate the account.

Unless it’s one rule for regular devs and another for rich ones.

7 Likes

NFTs bad, remove them it is really simple just push the button.

3 Likes

Besides Big games was there any games that wanted todo NFTs?

1 Like

Something that the community already stomped out was CRYPTO BLOXS, which tried to tie NFTs to a Roblox game (similar to Pet Sim X?)

2 Likes

If this doesn’t result in a total ban of the person in question and all of their games, realize that myself and many other developers will shift to NFT or NFT style sales. Pays way better, which goes a long way when you’re trying to escape wage slavery!

1 Like

I recently made a report about the developer you might be referring to and I do believe their auction is against TOS.

It gives the buyer an unfair advantage to the other players, making it feel more pay-to-win than anything.

2 Likes

I am glad to see that Roblox is taking action, however I don’t quite understand why they get so much benefit of the doubt, I understand the new TOS are still super new and vague, so this somewhat makes sense, but if it were any other developer who did this, I guarantee they would be punished without further investigation or help, so it seems a little backhanded to myself and I am sure some other developers (can only speak for myself) that you’re putting this much effort into this, I think the rules should be enforced fairly to all players on the platform, and that the punishment should be the exact same, no matter the popularity/success of someone.

Disclaimer:

I do understand this could be considered reaching, but it just doesn’t make sense that they have to investigate into this, they broke the TOS, and I think they should get just the same punishment as anyone else would’ve. Feel free to let me know your thoughts in opinions on my statement, and of course my opinion is always open to change considering what I know.

9 Likes

Hope the Dev gets banned as how are smaller Devs who pay the Roblox tax supposed to have an outside payment option

2 Likes

The only reasonable resolution from this is for Roblox to punish the developer. Fine the developer the $150,000 that he earned from the NFT Auction (deduct that amount in robux) to ensure it never happens again. If anything that’d be letting him off lightly - Roblox claims to be a progressive company, but if you allow developers to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars from promoting NFT auctions that severely damage the environment then you clearly don’t care as much as you claim to.

3 Likes

When I initially replied to the post, it had mentioned PIGGY toy codes giving items in the Roblox experience PIGGY, which isn’t the case.