Notice: Review of Recent Off-Platform Behavior

FYI He hasn’t been an employee for about seven years

4 Likes

Why would Roblox not want their groups expanding into other fields? I’m not quite sure I understand Roblox’s motives here.

1 Like

Why would Roblox want to expand into a field full of picrew-generated monkey avatars that no one owns?

6 Likes

Thank you for addressing this, ROBLOX. It’s good to hear that the company is aware of the situation that is surrounding Preston, BIG Games and NFTs.

I’m pretty sure we can all agree that selling NFTs with in-game perks is just wrong (or even selling ROBLOX NFTs to begin with, perhaps? Shedletsky’s situation seems a bit different though). Preston doesn’t seem to care that what he’s done is wrong whatsoever (even more so now after having made 150,000 dollars from it) and that shows us the kind of person he really is.

I used to enjoy playing BIG Paintball (I never played Pet Simulator X though), but after all of this I don’t see myself playing BIG Games’ games ever again or atleast not in the same light. If anything, this situation has made BIG Games’ reputation shatter and I hope they get punished for it as what they did is shameful and a huge slap in the face to many. I hope they learn from this and sincerely apologize.

7 Likes

Welp, it looks like there wont be any NFTs now.

1 Like

How we behave off-platform should not be any of their business, excluding the creation of NFTs and other applicable scenarios.

1 Like

when it involves hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue, and selling assets from their platform - it couldn’t be more of their business.

1 Like

Except that those developers will promising in game rewards for the NFTs.I agree that devs shouldn’t be punished for off-roblox activities as long as they’re not doing something outright illegal but they did involve the platform in this situation.

1 Like

It is if ROBLOX is involved however. BIG Games themselves stated that “Owners of NFTs can link to have their pets in-game! It’s awesome.” – They’re selling NFTs with in-game perks on ROBLOX’s platform, which is a huge no-no.

It seems like this is should be in-line with what the ROBLOX Community Standards say, section 19.

2 Likes

This guy should just be banned, if any other smaller developer pulled something like this they would be terminated without warning. If you ask me the Pet Simulator X game doesn’t even contribute anything to Roblox as a platform anyway other than encouraging kids to have bad spending habits.

22 Likes

If you use NFT’s like the developer you can get sued for copyright infringement for civil penalties of up to $150,000 per piece I don’t think Roblox is going to sue anyone. But I kinda find it ironic that a Dev sold the NFT up to 150,000.

1 Like

Nice, I just hope they do something about the pet sim x thing this is so funny

1 Like

While addressing this one situation is a step in the right direction to stop developers from taking advantage of young users to turn over a quick profit, I sincerely hope that Roblox will be more aware of the deceptive monetisation practices a lot of developers are currently engaged in that are having just as much of, if not larger, an impact on players.

We all obviously know what this situation is about and it’s super important to stop the precedent and send a message out before this gets out of hand. There is much more shady monetisation practices (group and rank selling, Patreon tied to game benefits which is already prohibited, so on) that are happening en masse.

Thank you for your continued commitment towards user safety.

7 Likes

Explicitly stating within their Terms of Use/Community Guidelines that in-game items may not be sold as NFTs would be a start.

2 Likes

This is an important step forward for Roblox.

The game in question has violated many roblox TOS rules, and I was beginning to feel like Roblox didn’t actually care about enforcing their rules because it was one of the top-earning games.

Roblox’s TOS needs to be enforced more consistently. Allowing some top developers to violate these rules because of their special status hurts every competitor that does follow the rules, in addition to the harm being done that these rules are designed to prevent.

Edit:
I feel like not taking said game down is a slap in the wrist and may encourage people breaking the rules more if they can get off with nothing more than a stern warning. There should be a strike system in my opinion, at the very least. Big studios can afford to take more care in ensuring they follow the rules

18 Likes

Perhaps wording it as anything that is considered an exchangeable asset or good for an in-game item so it can group things like NFTs in the future. Maybe examples in a list to keep it updated?

I think that was the biggest problem in the first place, since there’s this confusion that cryptocurrency or NFTs aren’t “real money”, but they are assets that can be exchanged.

3 Likes

Before the NFT thing happened I really didn’t think Roblox thought that Devs was going to use NFT’s until now. But I do wonder why does NFTS use so much energy? But I really didn’t think that Roblox was taking action one of my reasons why they took the action was a lot of hate by Youtubers. If Roblox didn’t say anything I would wonder how much longer would this go on.

To make a long story short - it’s mostly the way that the Ethereum blockchain (currently) works.

Blocks (a couple of transactions) are “mined” in order to go through, in a way that is difficult for computers to do quickly. You earn Ethereum for “mining” those blocks.

Want more Ethereum? Use more computers, use more energy. The NFTs that BIG games made were built on the Ethereum blockchain, so every transaction (trading, selling etc.) also needs to be mined.

2 Likes

Mostly this is to confirm off-site sales that tie to Roblox games, most, don’t buy off-site perks or stuff, its should always stay Robux, I don’t even know if Pet Simulator is allowed with the Pet plush code, no?

Precisely what I meant when I was referring to “other applicable scenarios”, such as ones that involve ROBLOX in a specific way.