NumberSequence Value

As a Roblox Developer, I would benefit greatly from being able to use the Number Sequence editor for custom purposes

I think creating an object dedicated to this editor would be extremely valuable to developers. Personally I want to use it to create custom “height map multipliers” for my terrain generator, allowing me to easily create and modify terrain “profiles”. I could also see this being useful for creating difficulty curves in RPGs through things like damage modifiers or EXP modifiers, or useful to car games by letting developers create custom profiles for the initial speed increase of a car. Really, there’s tons of uses.

These could be an object that has one NumberSequence property, and then a function that takes an input number between 0 and 1 and outputs a number between 0 and 1, which would be the “Value” for the given “Time” on the current graph.

The infrastructure is already here, if this could just be added for our use I believe this would be immensely useful for many developers.

36 Likes

This is an important step to take to empower plugin developers.

Exposing certain userdata objects and their internal APIs, such as NumberSequence, and allowing plugin developers to trigger various pop-up menus such as NumberSequence editor, Color3 picker, BrickColor picker, etc would allow for a broader range of highly-interactive plugins.

We can all benefit by making plugins look apart of the native studio UI.

13 Likes

Yes please!!

Can’t you create a number sequence instance? I swear I did that before but I’m not sure.

EDIT: http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:NumberSequence

You can already create these, no dedicated value or dragged for it however and not sure if it can be stored in an ObjectValue instance.

Can’t be stored in an ObjectValue. Somehow I thought this thread was suggesting a value object to store number sequences in.

You can create them via script but you can’t use them for anything. That constructor is purely so that people can create them in pre-existing places such as the size value of a particle emitter. It only has constructors and a property for simply creating and reading the value, nothing for putting a value in and getting a new value out, and no graphical interface which really is the most important part here.

while we’re at it, we also need VectorSequences, CFrameSequences, and UDimSequences

2 Likes

Well you could use number sequences for all of those purposes

Would I really want to use a NumberSequence for each component of a CFrame?

A) there’s not that many components you would reasonably want to be changing and
B) how would you suggest such an interface look like?

Aside from literally having a matrix of number sequence graphs lol I don’t really see how it would be usable or preferable to just having a number sequence value for the specific components you want to alter

(granted this would probably be cluttered and confusing for CFrames, it would work fine for Vector values and UDim Values)
It would be a lot easier to manage and adjust individual values in this style rather than going to each NumberSequence and adjusting it one by one

3 Likes

What you probably need is an array value of some kind.

NumberSequences are too specific to be of any practical use outside of their intended purpose.

4 Likes

Not having this keeps me up at night, I still think this would be incredibly useful

1 Like

We need this so much in my opinion.
Perhaps what @maxvee said, a more dedicated value would be greatly useful.

Still though, I hope to see something like this pop onto the roadmap at some point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great request! I’ll work on getting this filed today, and will follow-up with any questions.

8 Likes

Sounds great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts