Occlusion Culling

No wayyyy! After all these years of “mobile doesn’t support it” it’s coming!?

1 Like

We already toggle whether or not something can be hit by raycasts (CanQuery) so I don’t think an occlusion property is a crazy concept, especially for devs who are into optimization.

tl;dr - lots of the arguments made in the past (including my own post above from 10 years ago) don’t apply anymore, so it’ll be exciting to see how this is implemented.

5 Likes

guys, Roblox is not a general-purpose video game engine, it is a scriptable RAD platform, that’s it

1 Like

Let’s change that! Some developers have been on here for 10 years, I think they deserve some revolutionary improvements by now.

5 Likes

I hope there’s a related public API for this too.

I’m looking for an API that will return an array of BaseParts within the camera’s view frustrum that are unoccluded in order to reduce the amount of parts being cloned into ViewportFrames (the use case being something like split screen, picture-in-picture, mirrors, etc.).

Something along the lines of Camera:GetUnobscuredPartsInView(farPlaneZ: number): { BasePart } would be absolutely ideal! It’s currently causing me great pain trying to figure out a speedy and efficient software occlusion method.

1 Like