Offline Games on Roblox

I’m not sure if this is possible but I would like to see roblox games that you could play without any wifi or internet aka Offline games. I think it would be a great idea for users not to get bored when they have no internet. If this becomes a feature I would create a game without any use of wifi. This would be a good feature.

30 Likes

Already requested before, not a viable idea. Requires complete download of game assets & engine heavily depends on server, even if operations performed on the server could be transferred to the client, the game still requires internet access (i.e. for services like text filtering).

5 Likes

Why would you need filtering for offline :confused:

13 Likes

Text filtering, not Experimental Mode.

Yeah, why would you need filtering in offline.

8 Likes

When I meant offline games, I was referring to games that dont require multiplayer. I was thinking of games that are singleplayer or dont need 2 or more players.

Roblox is built as an online multiplayer platform, the closest you can get to a singleplayer game by setting the maximum amount of players allowed in the server. Offline gameplay is a completely different story in which Roblox has already explained that they cannot do.

@wravager it’s just built that way, like how the player’s appearance isn’t saved to the client - it’s requested on the site and then loaded.

TL;DR Roblox simply isn’t a platform for singleplayer games that don’t require the internet. If you want to hear more detailed explanations, look up the older topics requesting the same feature.

2 Likes

I think that if this is possible, then it might be useful.

When you make a game, you have an option to allow users to play offline. This lets users download a version of the game that they can play as single player. So, if your game is made in a way that allows single player, then you might want to enable offline mode.

So I can see this being a nice feature, but I’m not in support of this for three main reasons.

• This only helps a minority: This feature would only be useful for games that are completely optimized for single player, which also does not use http services, and does not require saving. Even if it meets these requirements, players offline cannot make purchases, which can make lots of developers not want to check it off. And even if you agree with everything, and make it work with offline, what percentage of users will actually play it offline rather than online?

• Practicality: I’m not entirely sure about how much work would need to be done to get this working, but my guess would be too much work. Roblox doesn’t seem to be made in a way that can just be reverted to work completely offline.

• Security: Even if we assume this platform is somehow possible offline, how can we verify a player’s account? On top of that, since they downloaded a version of your game, which includes server scripts, doesn’t this put your place at risk of being stolen?

TL;DR: This only helps a tiny minority of games, and a minority of players playing that game might use this feature. Given the amount of time this would take, and the security issues I see ahead, I would rather ROBLOX spend time on something else.

11 Likes