Old chat UI in modern game?

Basically, is there a way to get one of the older chat UIs in a modern game? The one I’m after specifically is the 2014 chat UI

2 Likes

You would have to recreate it, unless you can find an old version of studio and copy the UI and scripts that handle it. Can you show a picture of the 2014 chat UI?

1 Like

Here
Also I have found the script that handles the chat and it creates the UI itself, but it just doesn’t work anymore even when fixed (well a modified version also from 2014 I found. I did find the original but that just complains of permission issues)

1 Like

I think that’s Work at a Pizza Place’s UI, not Roblox. But maybe I’m wrong, I didn’t play in 2014.

1 Like

Nope, although a later UI
Here is the same UI in jan 2015 gameplay of survive the natural disasters

There’s this older one too

1 Like

After doing a bit of searching I was able to find a post that has the old chat UI from 2014: Ported CoreGui Player List + Chat Gui – Custom names, icons, and more

1 Like

Found that myself
Issue is it straight up doesn’t work even after giving it RbxUtility

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t know then, you would probably have to create it yourself sadly.

1 Like

It is very hard to get back the old GUI without editing roblox coregui scripts or by remaking the chat since how roblox is phasing legacy chat out with textchat service (if that made any sense)

1 Like

Well I kinda just did that
Well that’s that solved, gonna patch some more scripts and release a model so no one else has to patch them

1 Like

Oh, okay. UI isnt my good spot so I dont know too much.

1 Like

Most of the CoreGui is stored in scripts (using Instance.new)
I just had to substitute anything that required a higher perm level
For the chat, I just added a custom script that just feeds the chat script the same data that Roblox would (which wasn’t hard since it only looked for the sender and message)
That reminds me, I should probably add the filter

1 Like

The issue is that most of the older chat systems in Roblox were handled internally and there’s not a lot of direct sources for it, or if there are the dependencies are not fully integrated.

1 Like

It just listens to an internal event for when someone chats and also fires an event to send a message
Wasn’t hard to reimplement (it didn’t even use 2 of the 4 parameters)

2 Likes

how do you actually get the new chat UI?

1 Like

Go to the properties of TextChatService and change ChatVersion from Legacy to TextChatService.

3 Likes

you didn’t have to show the weirdest chats lol

2 Likes