Open Cloud - Publishing Your Places with API Keys is Now Live!

Not at all, Though it’s a pretty cool feature. I think we’re getting closer to being able to actually handle communities off-platform while remaining in compliance with the Roblox Community Guidelines.

With a “Login with Roblox” perhaps you’ll get the ability to get more information from Roblox so you don’t show Discord Links to users < 13. If they create a Datastore API then you’ll be able to manage in-game data externally. As far as handling an entire application outside of Roblox this is still a far ways away.

Edit: Considering the data limits on the new MemoryStore. Perhaps we’ll get memory store API’s that you can then utilize in a Roblox server to save temporary data in a more permanent DataStore.

Either way this could be alot cooler than it sounds.

1 Like

The automatic ranking feature sounds pretty cool. Thx for sharing!

14 Likes

THIS IS AMAZING! I cant wait to try this for myself!

1 Like

I have a question, are these like replacements for using '.ROBLOXSECURITY" tokens as a way to authenticate in automation workflows? It seems like it is a better replacement, but currently the only permission is place management.

1 Like

I’m worried about the logistics here. How is Roblox going to continue to afford such high amounts of money being thrown into the servers? My theory is that Roblox is betting on the Game Fund to create teams of devs that can fund these new projects. If it fails, Roblox might be at serious risk here.

Forcing people to jump through hoops and use endpoints that weren’t intended for public consumption is actually a great way to waste resources. The current endpoints people are hitting not only aren’t as secure but also aren’t necessarily designed to have automations run against them where an endpoint with a proper API designed for this could do things in a more effective performant way.

11 Likes

Does this mean we can access Roblox API endpoints now without a proxy? If so, that’s a great thing to do in response to rprxy.xyz proxy going down!

3 Likes

it returns 500 error when i try to use the place management api

1 Like

folks - I love the responses here. please keep posting what kinds of endpoints you’d like to eventually see supported on Open Cloud!

4 Likes

I’d like there to be a groups, friends, badges and user endpoints on there.

3 Likes

i’m sure people would appreciate group-related service APIs being opened up like this. so many groups would use this

2 Likes

If there’s gonna be datastore support then maybe MemoryStores? :eyes:

2 Likes

This sucks for a lot of people because they have to figure out what their external IP is. The API key should include your external IP by default.

2 Likes

Is there support for publishing currently saved places or support for publishing a place to another place like you could normally do inside of roblox studio?

This is a very exiting a update for professionals working on the platform. These are the kind of features we’re going to need to efficiently manage our experiences, I didn’t know this was even in the works so very happy about this!

With your mention of GitHub actions I’d love some proper support for a workflow which actually uses GitHub as many people are used to working externally to studio on large-scale projects.

1 Like

Game:

• get how many active players
  • get server list and players in each server
    - get how many likes / favorites
  • get how many players has won a badge

Group:

• get how many players are in a group
  • ability to rank players in a group
2 Likes

I don’t understand how it would “suck”

you can google your IP address

am I misunderstanding something?

You don’t really need to figure out what your external IP is to use this feature. Though it’s recommended you do lock this to some sort of IP for added security.

The idea here is if you’re hosting a server for your external services then you’ll have the option from that host provider to get your own IP Address. At which point as long as you maintain the services from them then the IP Address that you booked with your hosting package will only be available to you. Thus you can host your services there and include the IP Address in the Open Cloud as added security.

As far as endpoints go. It would be really cool if we could finally get something similar to webhooks or websocket that would allow us communication with Roblox Servers. Utilization for this could be useful for anything involving communication with a Roblox Server either passing data, or changing the state of the game world in it.

@RuizuKun_Dev well yeah, you’re not really meant to be hosting things from your house. To do so you’d have to check with your ISP to see if you’d need a business package or not as well as if they offer static IP Addresses if you would be able to do so.

This seems very interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing what people do with this new system.