Open Source Advanced Inventory System

Release it! I would be happy to see and use it!

1 Like

Perfect timing, I was just wondering how inventories look scripting wise since iā€™m going to make my first inventory.

1 Like

I am blown away, great job, I love it!

2 Likes

I am very happy to help out! :))
Just keep in mind that this isnt the best inventory system.

2 Likes

Really awesome of you to release this for usage. Looks pretty good! Definitely gonna have to take a look at the custom hot bar part since Iā€™ve actually been working on something similar myself, but with view port frames. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious how you handle picking up object, I took a look and I couldnā€™t find the script doing it, you seem to be using ClickDetectors. Can you show what part does it?

local function update()
	wait(0.1)
	for _,v in pairs(game.Workspace.Items:GetChildren()) do
		if v:FindFirstChild("ClickDetector") then

--Click function
				v.ClickDetector.MouseClick:Connect(function()
					if debounce == false then
						senditem:FireServer(v)
					debounce = true
					end
				end)

--Maybe implement Item Hover (see sell price, weight etc)
		end
	end
	debounce = false
end

Thatā€™s line 28 in the main inventory script local.

You have a folder in workspace containing all clickable items with a clickdetector. Once a item gets added to that folder or removed, itā€™ll call that function and update it correctly.

So if you want to make a new pickable item, parent it to that folder with a clickdetector.

1 Like

Ah I see, I also thought you were checking for clicks on the client, and sending a signal to the server telling it to remove the object.

Also wouldnā€™t it be more efficient if you ran the loop only once, connecting the parts that already exist, and when a new item is added meaning ChildAdded fired, make an event connection just for that event instead of all of the other events that already exist?

Yea I think that would improve performance a little.
Good point

1 Like

This is really nice! Very clean GUI easy to modify. However, I noticed that consumables donā€™t have an option to be consumed? Maybe I missed it, but nice work!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually true.
I didnā€™t do that yet but you can probably find that out yourself!

Wow! This really looks great! This will be very helpful for developers with a needed inventory such as this one!

Keep up the good work! :+1:

1 Like

Is there a certain reason why the inventory GUI wonā€™t show up?
I canā€™t find out why it isnā€™t working.

If itā€™s not open for you, you might need to press I or M I believe to open / close it.
If thats not the correct button, go into the local script and find the lines for open/close

1 Like

Itā€™s great but I noticed it doesnā€™t save equipped items and Iā€™d like to make only certain items stackable to my choosing. I still feel like I need pratice with datastores and some more scripting in general.

1 Like

Stacking doesnt work in this inventory system.

Thanks for letting me know paint.

1 Like

Iā€™m really interested in use this in a game but is there a way I can change the color cause brown doesnā€™t match our color scheme for the game. But very nice job!!!

1 Like

All UI is changeable and fully customizeable.
This thing should just give you the idea and functionality behind an inventory system, if you have a slight understanding of everything you should be able to change it to your liking with your own importet UI.

Is there any chance you will release your improved version of the inventory system?
The current one is amazing and it works well however if there are stackable items it would be even better.

1 Like