Open vs. Specific questions on topics

I find new posts on the forum obnoxious when it comes to topics regarding open or specific feedback. Topics sometime mention they struggle with something specifically and thus should be acceptable in the following topics, but also some topic may end up there where the question is open and broad. They keep appearing in #help-and-feedback:building-support(all models, builds, props, etc.), #help-and-feedback:art-design-support(modeling, GFX, drawing, sounds, etc.) and #help-and-feedback:game-design-support(whole game itself). These are fully understandable misconception of the categories, because they were not apparent enough to tell whether they are asking for technical solution of something(very specific) or a general question of suggestions(unspecified). Should the templates be updated to specify and ask the user the question of how specific their issue is? Where does it draw the line before the topic ends up in #help-and-feedback:cool-creations, if there was a creation displayed? Perhaps the user should be encouraged to PM any other users who are well-experienced with the forum or the staff themselves?

This does not only apply to topic confusions but the repeated spam/duplicate post of general Lua help for beginners, which sometimes end up in #development-discussion. Sometimes, there are newcomers looking for help about starting up and finds all the overcomplicated topics on the front page of the forum. This certainly does not encourage the newcomers to use the search function that exists on DevForum. Maybe they aren’t considering the “Your topic is similar to…” functionality? Perhaps there should be recommended topics for beginners and starters? Or how can we possibly encourage new users to use the search function to start with? Maybe a new guideline of posting on forum is required, such as steps to creating a post including tips of what to do and vice versa?

How should DevForum clear these minor inconveniences for the new users, when it comes to posting a post with a very specific question or a broad and open question? How do you possibly guide a new user to proper categories?

There are way too many suggestions to solve this, but if anyone else have an input on this, feel free to put in your two cents.

In addition to the duplicate posts, they might rely too much on the forum looking for answers than the search engines outside the forum. They could have used Google or Developer Hub, for instance.

10 Likes

This is funny, I’ve actually been thinking about something similar recently. I’ve seen topics in #development-discussion asking a game design-related question. It was open, not technical as you call it. For the sake of respecting their privacy, I’m not going to link, nor say the exact title of the post, but essentially:

“Safe way to implement gambling into my game?”
VS.
“How would I code a gambling system?”

This post was an example of the first one. Some would maybe call it a gray area, but my take on this is that #help-and-feedback:game-design-support is correct. After seeing a lot of questionable topics in the discussion category, I’ve developed a quick check to determine whether or not it belongs there. Game design is, quite literally, a category to get help about designing a specific system, game mechanic, UX and user-friendliness, etc. Discussion is to discuss. Gather opinions, state your opinion, whatever regarding general development.

Well anyway, there’s an increasing number of posts like these and the fact that they don’t belong there should be communicated more clearly. This also goes for topics asking the most basic or frequently asked questions. “How do I detect part touch?” or “How to save cash?” The forum already does a pretty good job introducing new members to posting and being active, but these topics are still appearing. I have a few very basic solutions to this. Warnings, reminders, popups, or even going as far as not tolerating such repeated behavior.

But a quick idea which might be either really good or incredibly bad. And that’s an… Interactive quiz or test developed and personalized for this forum. For example, the user would see 3 titles or very short topics and decide which category would be best. Or a “Would you flag this post?” sort of question. Would be in the form of a PM between you and a bot, very similar to how Discobot already functions. The only issues that could come with using this is the lack of new members - they would feel discouraged and it might be quite difficult to create, maybe not even worth it in the end.

I really hope this issue gets addressed, I feel like it’s not a good thing to happen to the forum. Would be really good to see actually good topics and especially discussions without having to scroll through this “junk” (no offence).

1 Like

Here is one instance of difficulty finding out whether it belongs in #help-and-feedback:cool-creations and #help-and-feedback:art-design-support. The question is technical, but very broad.

1 Like

More confusion may arise from topics similar to “how do I achieve this” or “how do I replicate this.”

Imagine you’re a new member looking to achieve something. For example, you don’t know how to make an object change its size with an animation. We have three categories that could possibly be correct:

Now, #help-and-feedback:art-design-support is probably the best in this case. But don’t forget about new members. They aren’t very familiar with the forum (yet) and they could, and let’s be honest, probably would place their topic into the wrong category.

Still better to use one of the three above than discussion, so if you’re ever in a similar position, you’re better off posting in one of them.

1 Like

Although these are correct, there is only the issue when it comes to question regarding feedback and showcase. They ended up being there, as they relate in type of development but not the purpose. #help-and-feedback:cool-creations should not be overlooked.

2 Likes