Optimised hyperrealistic environmental grass

Hey, I think my title explains it quite well. I am currently building a hyperrealistic game however when it comes to environment, I don’t want it to to be the run of the mill decal covering the bushes and trees to represent leaves and foliage. My largest concern currently is how to make realistic grass which is also optimised. Using a particle system is far from effective and Roblox’s grass terrain is subpar. I was looking for ways in order to make the grass more dense in Roblox’s terrain however Roblox combines terrain if they are close enough. I am currently experimenting with many things. Any input would be appreciated.

4 Likes

If you want realistic grass just go to polyhaven.

2 Likes

LOD. Level of Detail. Maybe fog to reduce the amount of grass needed.

1 Like

not optimised at all… Just opened both of them and theyre both over 100k polys.

1 Like

yes but theyre still very poly heavy. Currently im seeing if I can manipulate textures in order to make it look good. adding fog messes up the lighting so its not something I can do.

1 Like

This is not what “optimized” means.

I wasnt defining “optimised” therefore I am unsure as to why you are saying that.

Heres the definition for whatever reason you want it for.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m currently writing a book about optimized hyper realistic in roblox engine. I will be releasing it in the short future on the forum so watch out for that.

A book seems excessive and also feels weird to promote it here but alright, I already know how to do it now.

Well good for you to learn such important skill in game design. I’m not trying to promote it though tbh, I was trying to offer help in case if you want to reach for new ideas any further but whatever, it doesnt matter.

Fewer polygons = more optimized for Roblox. It’s subjective but is also common sense in this case. The author is looking for hyperrealistic grass models and more triangles ≠ hyperrealistic, textures will play a more significant part in this case given the not only subpar triangle limit in the mesh importer but also the the notoriously bad game engine being unable to handle just about anything.

But anyway with the average Devforum developer’s response out of the way, @PlanckDEV, what did you end up going with? You said you already know how to do it now and I am curious as I need something similar for a framework I’m working on.

Use layered alphas to implicate 3d detailing. I think that is by far the best way to do it however, it’s not a specific technique.

Try keeping grass blades only 2 tris and the same thickness as the Roblox terrain grass, then put some stray fur underneath it to fake denser grass.

2 tris = rectangle? Grass generally is sharper off at its end. Even if you do this though, it doesn’t look realistic

I mean a single tri piece of grass but double sided (hence 2 tris)

Why are you showing this??? Bro I legitimately don’t know what prompted you to post this

Oh yes I’ve tried this before but it does end up looking strange

But did you add the stray fur? It’s probably really cheap and effective.

Oh crap, sorry, I think I didn’t read the title… | Nevermind, wrong post sorry.

Yeah I did. It’s cheap and effective however, not hyperealistic. I think the best way is as I said; compiling alpha shaders