Option to adjust base color of Materials

As a Roblox Builder, it is currently very difficult to use the corroded metal material. Not in the matter of how to use it, but in the matter of why I would use it.

My building process mostly consists of default materials on roblox, or, that is at least by preferred go-to. When it comes to creating environments, depth and detail is necessary on objects, especially with the upcoming updates to improve the visuals on the platform. Sadly, one of the least frequent materials I use is corroded metal, and the primary reason behind this is because the rust color is not changeable.

I am currently working on an apocalyptic project, something that deems corroded metal necessary. However, because of the lack of color change, its simply unbearable to use the default material.

Two examples of corroded metal on the left, while the far right is a textured object I decided to use instead.

As you can see above, the rust is not easy on the eyes, and does not look pleasing. However, if the color of the rust was changeable, not only would time during the development process be saved, it might’ve looked something similar to the far right.

Another example of how this texture does not fit in well due to the bright orange rust.

While this could be considered acceptable to look at, it would look much better if the option to change the color of the rust was available. The rust stands out too much compared to the other defaults provided.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my game and my development experience. It would save time, lots of it. I understand that creating and uploading our own textures is an option, however, I am a firm believer that I should not have to re-create a texture that is provided in studio to simply change a color on that texture. Instead of creating the in-game asset, laying it out with UVs, opening the software you use, take however long you would to create the texture, export it, import it, and upload it onto the asset… all you’d have to do is go under properties, click on materials and click on Corroded Metal, and then adjust the colors as you please. It would also promote using the defaults provided by Roblox. It a great looking texture with a lot of depth, so it would look really good!

It would be great if this could be a new feature for all materials (another texture to point out is cobble. I would LOVE to have the option to change a couple of colors for cobble to make the texture look more randomized).
I would love to have the option for a second color-picker underneath the part’s primary color. I would also love it if this feature could be per-part, rather than per-material. It will increase the randomness, and therefore, make environments (especially apocalyptic ones) more realistic and beautiful.

37 Likes

I agree - if the rust wasn’t so hard on the eyes I’d probably use it more. Perhaps adding sliders to change how much the object is rusted as well as the rust’s age would provide for some nice customization. Create some presets - new > mid > old - and allow developers to choose from there. It would be nice to make the rust more subtle rather than being the first thing you see. It’d be a bit of work, but adding this to other materials would be nice as well.

8 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There are a lot of materials I do not use simply because they are defaulted to being so dark. Wood planks don’t match up to regular wood nicely and has such dark accents, cobble can give a weird color tone to the gray stones used, etc. It would be amazing if the textures could simply be white and allow us to use a Color3 as needed per part.

5 Likes