Package is stuck in strange limbo state, and places can not be published or saved at all

I’m currently getting this error message while trying to publish my game, and it hasn’t gone away yet after waiting 15 minutes, when it usually goes away after a few seconds:

In the output I’m seeing this:

All of the packages in the place are published and up to date. Restarting Studio seemingly does nothing, and while the place does save in team create, I’m not able to publish it.

UPDATE: Wow, timing. I restarted Studio one more time after posting and now I can publish, no errors.

5 Likes

Still happening to me. Annoying bug, really slow downs development time.

1 Like

Can you verify if it is still happening now?

1 Like

Has not occurred since I recreated the package that was glitched.

1 Like

I am still constantly experiencing this bug.
Error:
I am not sure of how exactly to replicate this bug, but right now the only way to fix this is by re-starting the studio which breaks my workflow :frowning:

1 Like

I can confirm that I am also experiencing this bug as well.

I have to save my place locally and open that place. When I open this place, I get this error:

I initially was under the impression that this was reproducible if you attempted to publish two or more packages at once (that is, publish one while another is in the process of updating), but this seems to be false in that the error occurs when getting new package data, not publishing it. It seems that when you publish the changes to the package, it gets locked when trying to verify the data(?) by downloading it with the “Copy Error: Http fails” report.

1 Like

I do not use packages. They make my Studio performance significantly lower, when I was building a ship I decided to make the boiler rooms packages because they are repetitive.
Moving the ship caused more lag, grouping, all those actions as if every time I moved the ship every boiler case, 4mawsx2casesx4 rooms was updating to see if it had changed and hence the slowness perhaps. Also I wouldn’t do anything, just go forward and backwards and some would say they needed updates, myabe because floating point offsets during positioning, but this disallowed me publishing every time without drudging through to update them all (with all their nonexistent changes) and that was enough of packages for me.
Though this does not directly concern the OP matter it hints packages are a lot more than tagged baseparts that destroy a model and duplicate a changed version to their relative axis from one which was marked as an altered source, and that makes them seem clunky I guess.
I wonder, why not like Luadragger?

1 Like

Same has been happening for me for few last weeks. Happens completely randomly. The package is published, but I have to restart studio to publish the place.

1 Like

The permission error is unrelated to the web copy error. It has been fixed. Please reopen the place. Thanks!

2 Likes

The performance issue is not related to OP issue. It has been fixed and we will release the fix next week. Thanks for reporting!

2 Likes

Sorry for the massive necropost, I am still experiencing this issue on my own game two years later. Just like OP said, none of the packages have any indication of requiring an update.

I did find a workaround for this issue, though; publishing an update to the “corrupted” package will throw it out of this odd “limbo” state and allow you to publish games again. You could probably just put an empty “hello world” script into the package, publish the package with that, remove the script, and then publish the package again.

1 Like

I’m having this problem too, same a described in past posts

I’ve check multiple times and all packages within game are up to date

2 Likes

Hi @CatzRule_81 @InfiniteEffect, thanks for bringing this to our attention!
I’m not on the package team anymore. I’ll forward the message to the team.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue, except my error message is

I just started experiencing this issue out of the blue, did something get broken within the last couple hours?

EDIT - We REALLY need the must-be-published restriction removed altogether, especially if issues like this are going to keep cropping up :confused:

3 Likes

Also encountering this issue, cannot publish our games and there is no sign to what package is causing this. I’ve quadruple checked every package in our game and there is no yellow dot nor a green arrow for any of the packages. This bug is incredibly frustrating.

Thank you for the acknowledgment.

On a side note, I have more information regarding my “workaround” that I discovered earlier; it is not 100% reliable, and is quite time-consuming to do. Instead, one could simply delete the corrupted package(link), save/publish the game, CTRL+Z the package removal, then save/publish the game again.

1 Like

We are aware of this new issue(starting on 7/19/22) and currently investigating it. Meanwhile, some tips to detect the problematic package:

1. turn off team create and try to publish the place, a dialogue would show with extra informations about the packages that are blocking the publish.
  2. check in Asset Manager->Packages, and see if there is any packages that is getting moderated and is used in your place.

Feel free to DM me with your situation and screenshots to help our investigation.

We are currently in progress of making fundamental changes to the package system to specifically fix issues like this. We appreciate all the feedbacks.

4 Likes

@InfiniteEffect @CatzRule_81 @TwentyTwoPilots @dz_Scy

We found the root cause, the issue should not happen anymore.

6 Likes

Thanks, publishing seems to be working just fine now. :+1:

1 Like