Palm tree help - Too many unions

Hello. I am trying to make an ornamental object that employs a lot of unions. It is a palm tree frond but I know it will eat up memory if I continue. I have tried not to use unions for this build, but it turned out more blocky and not really what I wanted. I’m not sure how to go about using meshes, and I don’t have enough experience on blender to create my own leaves. How could I use a method that doesn’t eat up memory but still gives the look I want? Reference image is down below, including what progress I’ve made so far.

Images

Capture

Edit:

Since it’s solved, here’s the end result for anyone interested!

Capture

2 Likes

Firstly that looks like it took a while to create I suggest you create a copy of it and put it in your “ServerStorage”, I say this because “Unions” tend to corrupt and you won’t be able to get it back. What you heard about Unions is true they are very unreliable to use and should be used in only some circumstances to create unique shapes.

I suggest you use “Blender” to create a mesh this decoration, you can use a lot less vertices and is more reliable. Also using Unions doesn’t actually decrease the amount of parts used, after creating around 15K instances your game will begin to lag for players with weaker devices so changing to meshes will reduces. I will send links to other topics that can give you in depth advice:

3 Likes

I would import the model into blender and use that to make it into a mesh. This is also really helpful if you are optimizing too.

2 Likes

It would still have the same number of vertices.

res but its more optimized than union

That, and you could then further simplify the mesh using blender technology.

But still, stupid that roblox, years upon years after releasing unions, have it be something so… barely-functional. People try to push roblox as a valid game platform, but it’s really not.

3 Likes