Part Mesh Problems

Im having a problem with a mesh I’ve put into a part, the mesh is pretty simple and already in roblox studio and I selected it to sphere so i could have more shapes to work with while building. However the collisions are all messed up and it retains a blocky collision instead of whats shown. Any advice to fixing this?
studio

Use a MeshPart instead which has a CollisionFidelity property; set it to “Default” (or perhaps even “Hull” – I think that can work here) and the collisions will be accurate.

but how do i change a mesh parts shape. I’ve tried putting in the special mesh in that i have shown below but to no avail.

Hi. You can also select the part and go to Model > Solid Modeling > Union (press Ctrl + Shift + G for the default shortcut) once you have resized it.
If you prefer using a MeshPart, there are many sphere meshes in the library (the toolbox). This option lets you resize the part whenever you want.

In case your map already has been built with normal bricks with SpecialMesh objects, you might want to replace them with unions or MeshParts, cloning all their properties. Tell us if you need help with a script for that.

It feels like you’re confusing the functionality differences between Meshpart/Part/Part-with-a-Specialmesh are.

They all look identical but have very different uses. In your first post, you’re having an issue with collisions, but in your second post you’re saying you want to change a mesh’s shape. These themselves are also two very different things.

Remember, Specialmesh collisions will always be identical to the Part that it’s inside, no matter what the Specialmesh itself appears to be. A sphere Specialmesh will not roll if the Part it is inside is a Box.

Note, however, that Meshpart collisions are more accurate (more, not perfect), and can be deformed and resized in any way you wish while preserving the more accurate collisions.

Also know that a Part’s Shape property set to Ball, has most accurate collisions (until you get to larger scales), but cannot be scaled in any way except uniformly (meaning, 1,1,1 or 2,2,2, etc).

All in all, know which to use, and when.

If you need a sphere mesh file to upload as a Meshpart, here’s a basic one.
SphereMesh01.obj (23.4 KB)

2 Likes