Partially managed Rojo + Git workflow in teams

Not sure where to put this as this is more of a general development workflow issue, but right now I have a game setup with Rojo and Git. I am only using partially managed Rojo though, meaning only the scripts are being managed by Rojo. The problem which I am running into however is that I have a project with multiple programmers and builders and each coder gets to have a seperate place where they can branch off from the main branch and build their feature, as everyone working on a single place file would lead to everyone trampling on eachother’s code.

But issues arise when the seperate places have to merge into one place. Not really with the code itself, I can just merge the code in Git, but in the seperate code places there might be changes which aren’t managed by Rojo. So let’s say one of the coders adds some sort of UI which the code uses, or changes some existing one to make it work with the code. It gets kind of hard to track the changes, and there could potentially be “merge conflicts” for non-Rojo managed stuff.

Here’s a diagram of my vague idea of the workflow.

The Building place would just use team create by the way.
The Test place is a testing ground for new features so we don’t just release a potentially buggy version into a live production game.

Maybe the issue with merging non-code changes in the coder places isn’t as big, maybe everyone could just manually write down their non-code changes and then compare somehow? (or have a plugin for that).

But yeah I feel like this is a pretty big and stressful issue so I would love to see the way other people would handle it.

Update: We recently tried a workflow of having a Github Action run which basically would publish a combined place file of the non-Rojo stuff from the Building Place and Rojo stuff from someone’s branch into their scripting place using Remodel. This would be horribly annoying however, as for each property change which you make you’d have to go to the building place, run an action, wait for it to run, and then reopen your place. On top of that there are usage limits for Github Actions.

6 Likes

From the Github site, it appears Remodel can be used to “sync development places”.

I’m not sure how to do it, but it might be worth it to look into.

I think they said it can do “Synchronizing development places with production” and I think by that they mean the 4th step in the workflow diagram. But besides that we did try Remodel however there are some issues mentioned in the Update section.

1 Like