Participate in our first Builder Challenge!

It’s not even that, just a competition, assuming because of the lockdown and all. Just trying to ease things up a bit and get more people inspired.

1 Like

By external softwares, does that include image editing softwares (ie Paint net, photoshop, etc) or is it only 3D editing softwares?

1 Like

Depending on what asset type you are making, any third party external applications, such as GIMP, Blender and as you said, Paint.net and Photoshop.

1 Like

Studio is honestly at this point only best used to orientate yourself to 3D space.
After that, you gotta migrate to an external program or else the work you churn out is gonna be sub-par and inefficient.

I’m speaking from experience. The first batches of skins that I made for BrokenBone’s “The Conquerors 3” during his spring internship took a big toll on the game’s performance since it was made with pseudo low poly unions which were manually carved out using CSG. It took ages to make each skin and it lagged out the game.

I’m not sure why Roblox is trying to encourage people to do this type of development. Studio made pseudo low poly assets only serve as a huge detriment for the games they are used.

5 Likes

Ooh! This is quite interesting! I’ve never seen ROBLOX do something like this before so this is actually pretty cool! I would like to participate but however, I don’t build. I can’t wait to see everyone’s creations. Good luck! :smiley:

2 Likes

To put it into perspective, here are some of the Roblox features that you will simply not be able to use:
• Custom meshes
• Custom triangle terrain
• Custom skyboxes
• Free models for vegetation

• Catalog clothing shown in the place itself
• ParticleEmitters
• Beams
• Trails
• Textured UI’s
• Imported animations (Which im curious how they’d even backcheck this.)

I can’t currently think of anything else, but I just think this is a silly challenge and is far from thought out properly.

On a light-hearted footnote: Can’t wait to see the creations that people do submit as it will give me 2008 vibes :flushed:

16 Likes

I’m definitely going to be submitting something for this. As someone who doesn’t use Blender, it definitely levels out the playing field. Good luck to all the talented individuals who decide to partake in the opportunity!

3 Likes

Why is everyone talking about CSG and meshes? Drop them entirely and build with axis aligned bricks, just the way you’d see in 2008 as one of the messages above mentions.

As for textures, if you really, really wanted them - you could use the ones that are already part of the client. These could break over time as the client changes, but it’s “within the rules” as I see it.

1 Like

This is pretty much impossible to warrant

Why restrict gameplay if you’re putting it on a separate category on the front page? Surely you’d want something with at least some gameplay to be forced onto the games page.

If users can’t use the toolbox, can’t use items that aren’t made by them and can’t use external software… How are they expected to use mesh? There’s only a limited amount of primitive mesh which you can use to create foliage, you’d end up with a lot of similar-looking scenes.

11 Likes

Challenge Accepted.

(Also good luck to everyone else who is participating in this challenge too.)

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem very well thought out, the concept it great but you guys are trying to push creativity right? Then why have such limiting restrictions such as Low poly, Smooth materials, no external software, in the end they’re all just gunna end up looking very similar as there’s only so much you can do in roblox, not to mention things such as Unions are still broken to this day and can cause a lot of issues.

13 Likes

Similar to @Dev0mar’s response (which I very much wholeheartedly agree with), I think this contest is for those who have a lot of skill in using the basic studio tools. Whilst I think the limitations are challenging, it will allow a lot more creativity and forward thinking which I guess is the reason why it’s considered to be a contest.

Yes, these are limitations, yes, these may hinder your prospects if you are much more skilled, but it should bring out the best in talented builders. Nothing wrong with an older building vibe either, as I’m definitely confident people don’t have to make something blocky just because they can’t use blender.

4 Likes

I honestly starkly disagree with this stance. The rules put in place provide a unique challenge for users to have to overcome, and like the original post says;

I honestly don’t think Roblox is necessarily looking for the best builder in this situation, they are looking for the best builder thats willing to build by the rules bound to the contest.

6 Likes

Heres what I think we need: a clear list from roblox explaining exactly what we can and can’t use, because i am slightly confused

5 Likes

Honestly looks great! If anyone wants to work with me just let me know (:

2 Likes

Are we allowed to utilise sound instances?

2 Likes

Hope to see what happens! 30 chars

2 Likes

from the tool box so I guess not

wow! I’m so excited for this! I better get right to work.

1 Like

Will we be allowed to use Audio from the catalog as sound effects and Background music?