Particle misbehavior after Flipbooks were enabled

Reproduction Steps
We have reports of this from several of our studio’s games. It is most prominent here: 🐙KRAKEN🐙 Battle Sails - Roblox

All you have to do is join the game and head to battle to see the issue.

Expected Behavior
In the gif, every cannon that is fired should have its particles enabled, emit flames and smoke for 0.2 seconds, and then be disabled. (These particles are enabled and then disabled, they do not use :Emit())

Actual Behavior
https://gyazo.com/fa5a052a08c23e56370a9c82fa3738ed.mp4

Each particle effect seems to pick and choose when it wants to display itself. If it does to display itself, there’s a chance that it won’t stop emitting particles once it’s disabled. This can be seen towards the end of the gif when some of the other ships seen get closer. They are constantly emitting large clouds of smoke.

This randomly started happening around the same time that Particle Flipbooks were enabled. The game was not updated and particles were working completely normally before this.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date Last Experienced: 2022-02-04 00:02:00 (-08:00)

5 Likes

I just disabled flipbooks while I investigate. This should resolve your problem (a server restart may be necessary).

6 Likes

Any idea on when we could get an update on this?

Updating this again–with the re-enabling of flipbooks in the last few days, this exact same issue has popped up again, and the supplied gifs still demonstrate the issue accurately.

The game that I previously linked, Battle Sails, does not have this issue anymore as I implemented a hotfix that solved the issue, but unfortunately it did ruin the quality of the visuals in Battle Sails quite a bit.

We do have reproducible form of this issue in this game, however: 🗺️🏴‍☠️MISSION UPDATE! Winds of Fortune - Roblox

If you join the game and head to the docks on the island you spawn on, you can fire a cannon and there you will see the issue. Some gifs are provided below as well:

Here is the issue with cannons firing, there are multiple particle effects (such as flames and smoke) that are emitted every time the cannon fires.

https://gyazo.com/2a1ca0c6e4e768d5af106738a6f30d50.mp4

Here is another example with one of our magic spells. These fireballs are made up entirely of particles, and one should be fired every time the player’s hand is extended outward. Due to this issue, sometimes these fireballs are completely invisible.

https://gyazo.com/1c22ecf8ad159f763ee6675aad681028.mp4

In both of these gifs, the actions shown emit the same particles each time the action is performed, but due to this issue, each particle effect is randomly “choosing” whether or not to display itself. This greatly impacts the visuals that our games have, and we’d really appreciate it if this issue could be looked into.

1 Like

Hi @Rivaeryn!
Thanks for the detailed information!
We are currently actively working on a fix for this bug. It is our top priority.
I’ll post an update on the release thread as soon as I have more information.

Edit + Update:

1 Like