Particles’ Flipbook Release

Visual artifacts can happen when authoring too close to the tiles/frames’ edges. If you think that might be something different, could we get a place file so we can reproduce your issue on our end, please?

1 Like

Hey @imdaros, @haosi and @VibeStrider
I answered your question here:

3 Likes

Since individual frames are a subsection of the 1K texture, the frames are smaller than the total texture size. In a 1K Flipbook texture,

• 2x2 layout’ frames are 512x512pxls,
  • 4x4 layout’ frames are 256x256pxls
  • 8x8 layout’ frames are 128x128pxls.

This is an inherent limitation of Flipbook textures since all frames are contained within the 1K texture. Is the resolution of your displayed frames lower than the values I listed based on the layout you are using?

4 Likes

particle.rbxl (38.8 KB)

3 Likes

in the clip below, if you look very closely, you can see that every time the particle happens, the spritesheet of the particle animation is visible for a split second (most of the time)

https://gyazo.com/39367c6d7dbd057c5b340b47185eb727

the spritesheet just appears out of nowhere for a split second. it seems as if the particle flipbook system actually has a tiny delay before it starts working, hence the spritesheet being visible for a moment. Other than that i have absolutely no idea why this bug happens
Edit: As a side note, i use particleEmitter:Emit(1) method to make the effect appear, and also the particleEmitter isnt enabled.

4 Likes

Hi all,

We pushed a Client fix for this issue (particles not enabling/disabling as expected) earlier today, which means that players should not be experiencing this problem anymore. We also sent in our fix for Studio and it’ll be taking effect with next week’s Studio release. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for providing us details on this issue :pray:. Please let us know if you’re still seeing anything unusual on players’ side relative to this bug.

9 Likes

@ronipoika8 would it be possible to get a place file to reproduce this on our end, please?

3 Likes

Sure, i sent you the place file. Let me know if it doesnt work. the bug is most visible on Greatsword when you press m1(left mouse button) with the weapon equipped
ALSO the effect itself is found in ServerStorage > fx > Swingg or Swinggreverse or SwinggVertical, they all use the same particles* > Attachment.

4 Likes

quality got broken

This occurs in Studio, it doesn’t effect your main game dw.

To be fair, that was for the beta, for a full release I would have expected those technical bugs/limitations to be squished, oh well.

For noobs like me,
I could not figure out how to lock the particle to the emitting part, I tried setting the particle to other than facing the camera without luck until I found the right setting
Orientation: Velocity Paralel
Acceleration 1, 0, 0
Before:

After

1 Like

hey, I wish there was an “Always On Top” option so I don’t have to make my own particle system with billboardsgui

It would also be nice to add the ability to use meshes instead of images, unity does a good job of this.

I think that particles are something in which we should have a lot of customization capacity…

3 Likes

Before this, I noticed the particles have a fade out effect when near objects, but now its gone, why? i also liked this feature and I’m pretty sure it would be simple to just add an option to enable the fade out effect in particles

Nice! Is there any word on when we can expect to see custom layouts for flipbooks? I feel that the current 3 are pretty limiting in terms of allowing variety, for example a flipbook texture that is 10 frames long would have a 2 by 5 layout which is currently not possible with flipbooks right now. I know there’s ways around it like adding blank frames to the texture and remapping it, but that’s unnecessary extra work and its only viable if you only plan on using the ‘OneShot’ option for the flipbook.

1 Like

Good to see a feature I’ve been wanting since 2018 finally left beta!

Thanks for this report. A proposed improvement has been enabled. Do let us know if it persists or if there’s other unexpected issues seen.

Any plans to have Flipbooks supported in other GUI elements such as ImageLabel or ImageButton?

There are many use cases such as UI animations that would make Flipbooks great to have in more GUI elements.

1 Like

I would use Speed = 0.001 instead of Acceleration = 1, 0, 0. and ofc, change the EmissionDirection to the desired face :slight_smile:

When can we get the custom grid values? Like 7x7?

1 Like