Particles, beams, and trails all disappearing, not disappearing when supposed to, and causing performance issues

Hey, is this behaviour of particles emitters normal? :
https://gyazo.com/25a7f28e664a3a5ab44058ad5115167c

It’s like when the camera isn’t facing them they stack and release all at once when the camera is back…?
This causes massive lag for the duration of them releasing all at once, don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, by the way I’m manually emitting them in a while loop to balance out the looks on graphic levels if that’s the cause? But why would they freeze once the camera is moved…?

Particle emission logic only starts when the particle is on-camera; unfortunately, this means that manually-emitted particles do not begin their logic until they are looked at, giving you the stacking effect.

You can avoid the stacking by only calling Emit when the emitter is in-frame or clearing particles periodically, but it isn’t ideal; however, it does seem to be intentional engine behavior. It would be nice if particles generated by the Emit method would begin processing their lifetime immediately–alas, they do not.

1 Like

That’s hidious. Why would this ever be a feature.

2 Likes

It’s horrible. It cannot be controlled.

1 Like

Literally I have the same issue. I have a system in my game that enhances default explosions by adding particles and such at their position. It’s very odd when I turn to face where an explosion was like 30 seconds later only to see the particles just start to emit.

1 Like

So THATS why I have the issue I said in another comment (Particles from my enhanced explosion visuals only rendering when I look at them, usually when the explosion is already long gone)! This feature actually sucks, completely kills the mood of the game. It also does it with the gun flashes in my game so u get really trippy moments where an entire volley of gun smoke appears with no soldiers to be seen. Really hope they add a way to turn this off somehow.

1 Like

I have been having the same exact issue, not only with particles, or beams, but with all types of lights as well! This needs to be fixed ASAP. Its poorly effecting developers games!

2 Likes

Any updates? I’m getting tons of complaints about terrible performance in my game and it’s really affecting the game in general.

2 Likes

my friends and i are having this issue too. particles in general just dont render when they’re supposed to

Its upsetting how long its taking Roblox to notice this huge issue. Hoping they fix it soon, effecting all of my games.

2 Likes

Just FYI this was reported on Friday afternoon and responded to on Monday afternoon. Not sure how this is “long”? (< 1 business day)

Did you read up? Staff responded on Dec 13.

Would recommend being reasonable to keep a healthy dialogue with the people working on these bugs.

2 Likes

I actually think they responded in a reasonable amount of time to this. This is coming from someone who is frequently upset with the smallest studio issues/changes that might hinder my workflow.

I agree this is super annoying and needs to be fixed ASAP. Not only is it causing obvious annoying visual glitches (weapon muzzle flash and shell ejection are delayed to 1-2 seconds after you fire, bullet tracers don’t always appear, etc.) but it also causes severe gameplay issues in my game; for example there’s an item that lets you call in a plane to drop lingering flames over an area, but due to this particle bug sometimes the flames are invisible which leads to unfair deaths. There’s also a zombie type that can ensnare a survivor with it’s tongue, and since you’re meant to be able to see the tongue to find out where the zombie is hiding, it can lead to a seriously unfair situation where you get grabbed by seemingly nothing and can’t find the zombie to shoot it before you get knocked down.

I’ve noticed a severe dip in player numbers that eerily lines up with the appearance of this particle/beam/trail rendering bug. Please address this Roblox!

1 Like

Its the fact they are not addressing the issue. Its poorly affecting thousands of experiences.

They are addressing the issue:

If anybody has any .rblx files that repro this problem, please send them my way.

1 Like

I took a free model gun and added particle effects to the bulletholes.
when you spray the wall, you can see the particles render properly, but after spamming it for a while, it seems they go into a buffer, and some show up a few seconds after shooting.

In the later half of the video, my mouse is up.

particle_repro.rbxl (75.5 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you so much, super helpful!

6 Likes

Yeah, this is fantastic. Reproduces instantly every time – this’ll help me debug this a lot quicker. Thank you POOPENGUIN.

12 Likes

I have a fix for this. I’m working with others within Roblox to get this out as promptly as I can. My apologies everybody!

33 Likes