Particles have black outlines

The video explains it all:

Also here are the raw image files if you need them:

Square
The infamous white square

Note on the video and this image ^, the black shading is NOT A PROBLEM, its a problem due to the method of exporting I did. The black out line still is though.

Oh also, you might mention “oh use pixel fix”, however,
Pixel fix fixes white squares and single images, but does not fix transparent flipbooks like such.

Example of “pixel fixed” flipbook

Cheers, Imdaros

2 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update!

Thanks for the report!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this problem is also listed here:

The current solution is to run your images through Pixelfix:

1 Like

And as I explained, pixelfix doesn’t help flipbooks

Don’t think you should mark this as a solution - the issue itself isn’t resolved. @imdaros

2 Likes

Sorry am bit new to this bug reporting thing xd

1 Like

Hey @bvetterdays

For your information, we (Roblox Staff) aren’t the only ones able to mark a reply as a solution, the OP can do that as well!

And we highly suggest not to mark a reply as a solution if it isn’t the case, as an auto-lock timer applies and the thread will be closed!

Thank you!

Thanks for the info here and my apologies for replying to your message! The reply was actually directed to the OP rather than yourself as I assumed they marked it as a solution themselves, hence why I pinged them. I’m aware of most of the info you mentioned here but hopefully it’ll help out others in the future. Sorry for the confusion! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@imdaros the general solution for the alpha dark outlines is to bleed the color to the neighbor pixels as described in the posts above.

It looks like pixelfix has a bug or not working correctly with your specific flipbook (which is a cool explosion btw!). However you should be able to find another tools that has similar functionality and would resolve the issue for you. As an example, I’ve tried GIMP’s Value Propagate filter and it does the job and removes the black outlines.

1 Like

Ah okay thanks for a fix, though is it still considered a bug planned to be fixed in the future?

It’s not so much a bug but rather a limitation in how bilinear filtering works. There are two common approaches to address this:

1. Color Bleeding: This is the current solution to address the problem.
  2. Pre-multiplied Alpha Textures: We find this concept appealing and would like to explore its use in the future.

While the existence of the Color Bleeding option lowers the priority of developing an alternative, we are open to looking into Pre-multiplied Alpha Textures when time allows. In the past, there were significant technical challenges or a higher degree of work required for full support. However, these challenges are less daunting now, making implementation more feasible. Unfortunately, it’s not included in our current roadmap, but it’s something we might consider for future updates.

You probably can’t tell me, but is a revamp in general for the particle system planned?

Like flipbooks feel like they got forgotten after release, never got the support for different frame layouts we where told we would get soon ):

To my knowledge there is no work planned for the flipbooks currently. But I might not have the full visibility.

What are the different frame layouts you were hoping to get? Anything else beside the layouts?

There’s an extremely long list of features that would improve the particle system entirely, to name a few:

• normal maps for particles
  • emmisive maps for particles
  • collisions (I understand how this could be unfeasible & tricky)
  • shadows
  • combing multiple imageids into one flipbook inorder to keep a high resolution without going the upload limit of 1024x1024
  • noise/chaos to particle movement
  • trails for particles

And for the flipbook layouts, maybe I’m missing something, but why can’t it be custom, why isn’t it just a vector2 value and the X is number of frames on the X axis and the y is the number of frames on the y axis, I believe this was answered before with “due to time constraints” but surely it would just be a not too complicated formula, nearly any other game engine does this.

If roblox could open source certain features and have a “moddable” version of studio, I’m sure other developers and I would be happy to dig in to the particle system and implement the features they want themselves, and could submit the changes to roblox and roblox can decide weather or not it’s well made/is a good idea. Saves roblox time and money and let’s developers take charge of the engine they work on.

1 Like

Thanks for the list!

I’ll double check internally on the custom layout and the 1024 limit. The rest sounds like great ideas, but are probably too large in scope to squeeze in the current roadmap.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to look into at least one of the things I asked,

I hope roblox will have a roadmap one year where they simply fix, polish and upgrade features more then they release them.

Anyways, thank you <3

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.