Parts Selection Issue

For some days now me and my tea have been having an issue with the selection of parts. We are not able to select anything on the workspace even tho my selection tool is enabled/selected. The only way we can select is from drag-select.

I have read multiple threads about this, none of those solutions worked for me. I have tried opening the roblox studio from the app, checked if the parts are not locked, made sure my selection tool was enabled, closed team create, asked from all the members to close all of their plugins. None of those worked.

That’s why I am reaching out to the bug support team because I need your help to resolve this issue. It has been days like this and it’s a lot harder to work + team create is also enabled and everyone in the team has the same issue, they can’t select any parts on the workspace in that universe, but we are able to select parts on other universes.

Here is a simple video with what is happening:

PS This is the thread I made about this problem with no solutions.
Not able to select parts on roblox studio - Help and Feedback / Building Support - DevForum | Roblox

Game: (2) School Bus Simulator 22 [BETA] - Roblox

1 Like

Please double check your collision groups are set correctly. Default should be able to collide with default, and check if unselectable parts are in collision groups that don’t collide with default.

The raycasts for Studio tools currently rely on the default collision group, so anything that doesn’t collide with it cannot be selected.

Hey there! Sorry for late repose, I checked and it has nothing to do with collision groups.

Just following up!

We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database, and we’ll follow up when we have an update.

Thank you for the report!

2 Likes

Hey there!

Any updates about this topic?

Hi @ItsFrensi I took a look at this thread and the other related thread. It seems the problem is very specific to this file/place and hard to reproduce.

Have you tried:
[1] copying everything in the workspace except camera and terrain
[2] pasting them into the Workspace of a fresh new place in Roblox Studio
[3] seeing if picking/selection was fixed in the new copy?

I’d be curious to know whether the problem persists or not.

Hey! Thanks for reaching out. I did copy and paste them to a new place and yes, I can select them on the new place.

It still sounds like this is related to collision groups, or rather a wrong/corrupted state of one that may have been deleted, while parts still have a collision group ID set or something (perhaps you should check this property on affected parts, make sure it is the default - 0 or 1, I forget). I have had something similar to this before while moving parts with collision groups between places, or doing messy overhauls with collision groups.

Can you try creating ~10 collision groups (random names is fine), and making sure they collide with default? The point is to saturate the matrix with good-state groups (because collision groups behind the scenes are just mapped by a numerical index into a data structure, they’re not dynamically created and destroyed, just named and managed at a higher level as I understand it). Maybe this will correct whatever is wrong? Not much else for you to try.

Important to note also that the workspace can have a collision group assigned. Check this as well.

Drag select working but clicking not working is a very classic tell of this issue.

2 Likes

So, can you proceed with your work as desired by copying this and everything else (like scripts etc outside the workspace) into another world?

I know it doesn’t fix the original problem, but if so at least you can proceed with work.

It also does lead me to believe that you’ve somehow gotten in some kind of corrupted state as others have suggested in this thread.

Hey there!

thanks for reaching out, at first I thought it was not the collision groups since when I checked it everything was in default etc. I talked with someone who knows from collision groups and he managed to help me out, even with this message that I was reading I couldn’t understand xd. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks for helping me! It seems like the collisions groups were messed up, I talked with someone who knows how collision groups work and he managed to help me out. Thanks!

Thanks for the solution @PeZsmistic!

We are closing this thread since the issue has been resolved based on OP’s comment!

Thank you for the report and update!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.