Path2D Studio Beta

Awesome feature, will definetely use it for my plugin’s node editor feature.

1 Like

ig floatcurve exists but it DOESNT even render anything plus far complicated to use when updating lines with this, i still avoid this thing even if it’s similar cuz having to create parts and updatin them are a total pain to maintain with :broken_heart:

1 Like

Praying that this also hints to other path-related UI things (.SVG support, pleaseeeeeee)

3 Likes

Amazing update! This’ll be useful for some of my future projects for sure

1 Like

Roblox already has a 3d spline instance, floatcurve I believe. I’m not sure if it’s similar to path2d though.

There’s also a good alternative here BezierPath, an easy to use and optimized spline path module for TD games and general paths

2 Likes

you might be able to achieve this by using editableimage

1 Like

I started out 3D modeling with splines as an undergraduate. Tracing around photographs with NURBS tools in Autodesk, then lofting them together. Will this kind of functionality be integrated into Studio’s CSG tools? Like extruding along a path to make cables, tree branches, and other bending shapes.

3 Likes

Corner Types :thinking:

someone would need to explain the math for keeping the 3D position in position with some custom defined 2D thing, e.g. a Racing Track.

That’s the only thing that came up to me on an idea on what it could be dynamically used for. :person_shrugging:

ooo wait :GetPositionOnCurve oooo

can we release the math behind that function pleaaaase

Why is there no transparency… Had to use CanvasGroup.

3 Likes

Any way we could get per-keypoint colouring instead of it being for the entire path? I wanted to use this to create some non-linear gradients, it would be great if we could somehow get this.

2 Likes

Now all we need is Path3D next, so we can have the in-engine benifits performance. Awesome work!

1 Like

Adding features onto broken code. Wicked idea.

Wish you’d try to fix 2d rendering first at least, it’s a very legacy implementation and needs heavy rework.

2 Likes

There’s UI styling upgrades on the roadmap, stay tuned!

1 Like

I can’t get anything to show up when I do all the steps. Am I doing it wrong or is it just not working.
And Yes I am Enrolled in beta.

also I realized that its surface gui but it still doesnt work with screen gui either

Update: I fixed it had to close all studios and restart then it started working

Cool…Can you add shift or ctrl or both or alt or something that will allow for a straight line while dragging. Some kind of snapping system… It would be cool if I could place a gui object into the path2d instance and it automatically follow the path. Dreaming of Adobe Flash in Roblox…Like a whole gui studio with a timeline like animation studio…I added this…I drew some dots that were all over the place…and then I deleted it because…cool but…it’s not so simple…

2 Likes

I honestly cannot wait to see art made out of GUIs with this update!

REDEMPTION ARC IS REAL. WE ARE SO BACK.

I can’t wait to use this, VERY GOOD UPDATE.

This looks useful for creating a vector-drawing experience. However, there are some functions that would be useful.
Is there a way to quickly find an intersection between two curves?
Is there a way to identify a fill zone/shape bounded by curves?
Is there a way to generate a mask based off a shape created by multiple intersecting curves that can be applied to the BETA editableImage to fill an area?
Can curves have dynamic thickness gradients and tapers?
etc

We could make a drawing mechanic with this. Amazing feature!

I appreciate this update, but is it possible to smoothly make lines travel between points?, as I am wanting to recreate Apple’s cursive “hello” writing