People should not be able to download assets directly from the website

Thanks to @Katzenpunk for editing this post.

As a Roblox Developer it’s quite difficult for me to protect my assets, specifically meshes.

However, this process is blocked by users who have Roblox+ installed in their browser. They are instead redirected to a 404 Error Page. Which leads me to believe, if a plugin can prevent this from happening, then it is clearly possible for Roblox to include this kind of security themselves.

My friend @Katzenpunk suggested that additional steps that could be taken to protect developers’ hard work, could be to simply hide certain library search pages like it’s done for groups with private assets, and/or add a user setting to block inventory access like it’s done for the main Roblox account.

I understand that this cannot be done overnight, however it is certainly important for roblox to look into this, as to protect our future as a platform.

37 Likes

Why are groups and players inventory even able to be viewed by people that are not the user. Why are groups assets even visible. Why can’t the way animations only work for the person who uploaded them also be an option for all assets.

12 Likes

I also never understood the purpose of certain parts of the inventory to be viewable by anyone, I don’t see any need for it and it would be extremely helpful if my assets (Meshes, Decals, Audio etc.) weren’t viewable by anyone, the same goes for the library… (Unless you have your assets marked as ‘Free’)

2 Likes

I disagree with removing this ability on all things, but I do agree that security should be increased for things like meshes and animations.

Places already have the perfect amount of security where you can download the place if you have edit permissions, but get a 403 if you are not allowed. The same should be applied to meshes, animations, and a few other things.

Overall, I would strongly be against removing this ability, I am only in favor of just increasing the security on some types of assets.

3 Likes

That’s why we suggest it being a setting to hide your assets.

Hiding your assets means nothing. People will still find them.

A proper solution is to prevent access, not try to fake it like it is not there.

4 Likes

Re-direct to an error page.

2 Likes

As I said, places already give you a 403 error if you try to download an place that you do not have permissions to edit.

Why isn’t this done with all assets is the question.

Again, it shouldn’t be. However I agree with adding it to meshes and animations.

Perhaps having 2 options:

1. The asset isn’t able to be downloaded unless marked as free to take.
  2. A setting to mark the asset is invisible to others so they can’t even see the page for it.

This will allow people to make animations and meshes free if they wanted to.

7 Likes

Plain and simple if I don’t want them to get my stuff that isn’t on sale I obviously don’t want them even being able to see them.

It’s all up to Roblox to do this update.

If nothing is done about this I will take legal procautions to protect myself and my assets from theft on this platform from other users. Edit: Went ahead and clarified what I meant.

I will also include my team being involved in this as now knowing their assets are also at risk.

Now tell us how people are going to play your game if they can’t download the assets from Roblox. Have you thought out a process for that?

Roblox+ blocks the usage of this web asset theft system, Roblox can easily make a system like group assets (Which are private) for players.

You should note that you were referring to asset theft via the website.

1 Like

Wait you can view other groups inventory even though their assets aren’t free to use? I thought group inventory was viewable to only users of that group by going into the create tab on the website?

Nope, Roblox basically says “here is all this users junk, go ham”

If the Roblox profile can hide inventory why can’t we. Leaks wouldn’t be a problem if we could just hide stuff. (Not talking about hat leaks, talking about game leaks from decals etc like what happened with the Ready Player One event)

1 Like

Exactly the point of this thread, they are my assets and not to be meddled with unless I want them to be or the admins need to moderate. I don’t care if they’re images or animations it’s still my hard work y’know?

Why don’t you just upload the assets in a group page then?

I also have showcases man. I would also say that if this be the case then remove meshes from character uploading in general and only have groups as building access.

“That’s the problem my profile isn’t secure at all lol.”

1 Like