People should not be able to download assets directly from the website

My point is again (Except that you are NOT granting us ANY LICENSE to make NEW or DERIVATIVE video games USING YOUR UGC. The wording of a ToS can cause you to stumble and falll if you;re not careful so Roblox saying they themselves have no license to our work in any way shape or form can be used as a weapon in court and fcause their whole ToS to crumble.

@dragonfrosting This is exactly the type of thing that I would like to see prevented. If it can be done through groups why can’t it be done for our PRIVATE inventory as well?

It’s not about helping in game theft since this is possible as is. My point is that the website is able to be secured 100% but it’s not.

While places from the website are easily protected and so are groups they cannot do this for our private inventory?
Either change the ToS, keep the problem, or fix the problem, and have something that fixes the issue and fix the ToS so Roblox doesn’t get any major problems later.

While their ToS says we can’t go to court but we can do small claims court which can still ruin Roblox’s image not only that if the case seems to be something that is bigger which in this case it can be because, it’d be false claims by the company which nulifies their entire ToS to begin with since form their own wording it says they are not allowed access to our content at all.

Thank you for bringing this up though. Thought I explained it better last time guess not.

3 Likes

2018 and they still haven’t made “copylocked” do its job of not working on other peoples games other than the creator. I feel like this feature is useless if the assets can already be downloaded.

3 Likes

Let me just throw it out there that removing the downloads from the web would only hinder legitimate uses of it. Anyone with malicious intentions will just find the next best way to download the assets, and there will always be a way to.

There’s some talk here I do agree with, like only allowing use of assets if they are owned by the person trying to use it (whether they made it or took a copy), though before having this we really need the ability to give assets to users. I wouldn’t want to give a creation of mine to someone through making it free. Though unlikely someone will take it, I don’t want an open window of time for people to take my creations. Not only that, but by making it free at all, anyone has permission to use my creations from there on. This isn’t ideal if I only want one specific person using it.

I really don’t want Roblox to focus efforts from any department on blocking the URL downloads from browsers when it won’t even achieve anything you want. There’s a lot of other things workers at Roblox are busy with. At the most, we should be able to hide assets and whole sections of our inventory on the site and restrict usage of our assets to only those who own them.

2 Likes

Things like decals meshes and models should be toggleable in your user or group settings to say whether they’ll be viewable by other users. Not being able to hide these is a basic issue. I understand its required for players to be able to get these assets because they have to be available to the client when playing, but why give it to people who steal assets on a golden plate?

4 Likes

It will fix leaks and possible theft before creation of games. Since meshes can be stolen and it gets into a whole thing of legal issues by Roblox’s ToS and how they even advertiise that a button stops the distribution of non in game items and non finished games.
^ That is called theft and it’s open to attack so I woud 100% think stopping website theft would be simple by just doing what groups do by allowing the members to see and use it for accounts like groups. The way PLAYERS see the finalized items would be having to go to the place JUST like GROUPS.

This focus is to protect games not finished and developers from being a victim of theft, why leave a lethal hole open when you can fix it?

What is Roblox the Deathstar?

1 Like

I’m not against giving users the ability to hide their assets. I said I’m for that. I said I’m against removing the ability to download assets through your browser. A lot of people use this feature for legitimate purposes. Again, if you remove it people will just find a different way. Assets will always be downloadable through some method, and people woth malicious intents will just move onto that while those using the asset downloading for legitimate purposes get left in the dark. You gain nothing by having this feature removed, you just hinder good people.

You’re simplifying this issue way too much. If it were as simple as you seem to think it is, the engineers would have figured it out by now.

3 Likes

If you want access to something either ask or wait till it’s made viewable.

If you can put one example of people using the method I posted to do anything good other than download from the client to play the game then I have no reason to disagree but that’s not the case.

The issue isn’t with the downloading itself but the ease of access on HOW one is able to just grab stuff without any problem from just changing a link on the website by viewing my “private” items.
The client needs to be able to download the assets but the website should never be open to easily grabbing it until the client has the assets downloaded. (because after it’s downloaded that’s it.)

^Just like groups you can’t get group items unless you’re a authorized member of that group.

They have figured out a way to fix the issue. ^

The problem isn’t that I simplified the issue it’s that it simply exists when it shouldn’t.

1 Like

Downloading my own assets I no longer have, as well as certain Roblox’s assets which I want to modify for my use. I’m sure other people have their own uses for it too.

Again, the issue is removing the ability from those who need it, while people with malicious intentions will just find the next best way and have no issues stealing assets as they always have. I don’t want to have to jump through hoops just so that thieves can steal assets through a different method. This won’t stop them.

I think you can view group created assets on the website as well, regardless if you’re a member or not.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen you can’t search group items from the library or the group page unless you are apart of that group and have access to upload content on that group.

Wrong https://www.roblox.com/develop/library?CatalogContext=2&Subcategory=6&CreatorID=64552395&SortAggregation=5&PageNumber=1&IncludeNotForSale=true&LegendExpanded=true&Category=6

1 Like

big oof. Yeah, that needs to change.

1 Like

You can steal animations, meshes, audio and clothes regardless if it’s in a group…and it needs to be changed

3 Likes

It can’t be. Players need to download assets to see them in games, so there will always be a way to grab them from the web in some sense.

1 Like

I mean let them be downloadable, but not just by anyone, there should be a more secure way of achieving this besides letting anyone put in a url and be given the file.

3 Likes

Actually, offsale stuff shouldn’t be able to be downloaded from the website. If players “need” them to play a game, it should be done through the roblox client, not the browser.

Some of us want to prevent people from going to the website version of the asset altogether. Hidden to everyone but the asset uploader. This is already a thing as you can see by Roblox’s own inventory being hidden.

4 Likes

I’ve already said I don’t see anything wrong with hiding your assets. It would be a good feature. What I’m saying is that there will always be a way to grab the assets even if you’re not in a game. Removing the current link will just force people to do it a different way. There’s no reason whatsoever to take a useful feature away from us so that thieves can find a new way which can’t be fixed.

Repeating myself, I really don’t want to jump through hoops to use the feature just so that a few thieves who probably won’t get anywhere with your assets anyway have to find a new way, and they will find it. These short term fixes do nothing but hurt developers who are trying to use the feature how it’s intended. If you don’t want your assets stolen, make sure they have a copyright because that is the only way you can truly protect them.

2 Likes

We’ve had this discussion on the forums many times before, but yes, while assets would still be downloadable, it will be nontrivial compared to how easy it is now. There’s a big gap between copy+pasting an ID from someone else’s inventory to use in your game / paste the ID into a download URL, and dumping your computer’s memory and parsing the asset from there.

If this is implemented properly, it should have no negative impact on you. (with properly being downloading on website only blocked for people who don’t have permission to insert it in-game (creator, group developers, or everyone if free), and better insert permissions (like models) so that someone can’t use an asset in their game just because they have the ID.)

4 Likes

If we’re all being 100% honest, this topic should not be up for debate.
(Yes I’m posting on a four month old thread.)

It’s still highly relevant that we figure out a way to cease these issues from the website at least; this is especially crucial for games that are in development.
Like with any game studio we have to make sure that the developers’ assets are protected by regulations and assistance from the platform providers until used by the consumer through the client itself.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.