Phone resolution smaller in Roblox?

My phone (Vivo X5 Max) has same 1920x1080 resolution as my computer screen.
But when playing roblox on my phone it seems to run on incredibly low resolution.

This is from computer screen:

This is from my phone:

Trying to debug this using iPhone 4S in Choose Device is not an option, it doesn’t provide the ACTUAL resolution of any phone.

3 Likes

I saw this thread which might be related

I believe they upscale half of your resultion for performance reasons.

1 Like

ROBLOX does reduce the resolution on mobile devices, which is kinda annoying.

You can find out the resolution you are playing at by reading the ‘ViewportSize’ property of the camera http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Camera/ViewportSize

We render at a quarter resolution, but with 4xMSAA to smooth things out a little. Saves a lot of GPU cycles.

5 Likes

I think a concern is that the “Choose Device” emulation for iPhone 4S is not the resolution the actual device runs at.

I really wish you let us scale this because some of us with “beefier” mobile devices really want a prettier experience.

2 Likes

The problem is, there’s no good way to identify a “beefier” mobile device.

2 Likes

A user slider.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, this should be easier to findout tho. Also, as alex says the iphone 4s resolution is wrong then.

Yeah, perhaps.

6 Likes

Please. The graphics slider is locked at 1 on mobile because it’s assumed all mobile devices can’t handle anything above that (and maybe this was true when ROBLOX first came to mobile – I don’t know), but I don’t see why I should be locked at 1 on mobile when I’m able to pump my low spec laptop all the way up to 10 if I want. Default to autodetect and then let the user choose whatever graphics level they want.

1 Like

Well, so far the only good-performing tablet that I’ve seen was the newest iPad.

The device doesn’t have to be able to support level 10 for tweaking graphics to be useful – just good enough to push to higher graphics levels in general. I might want to increase my graphics level to 2 or 3 in a competitive game to increase render distance so non-mobile players don’t have as much of a sight advantage over me.

On my phone: 592 x 324 (360 with topbar)

Laptop screen and phone screen are both 1920x1080

This saddens me trying to get into mobile developing :expressionless:

And that android bug where using the chat leaves the menu bar on the right side still visible makes it worse >:

1 Like

Could you guys up-scale the AbsoluteSize relative to how much you guys down-scale the resolution, so that UI doesn’t get crunched down?
If not, maybe an AbsoluteSizeScale property?

Graphics slider is not locked to 1. It is locked to auto.

1 Like

No - you don’t want that. Your game will be completely unplayable on higher end phones if we used native resolution for UI - the DPI varies ~1:4 between different Android phones.

1 Like

I’m assuming you have an Android phone - there the rendering behavior is different from iOS (and less optimal). It’s harder to get a good balance between quality & performance on Android because the variance in both performance and DPI is just insane and there’s no pattern to it - could have a super high-res phone with a super-bad GPU and vice versa.

(and before it’s mentioned, user resolution slider is not the solution - the game should work well out of the box)

Oh, may bad then. What I suggested still applies because I might want to go 1 or 2 above the auto-detected graphics level for higher render distance. I also did some searching and found a thread that pointed out that switching graphics levels produced a lag spike. I might want to manually disable auto so I don’t have to run into that issue when playing anything competitive.