Physics controller character fails to walk in a straight line

I am using the new physics controllers to create custom characters for my game. Unfortunately the controllers are pretty much useless right now because they fail at basic movement like walking in a straight line. In the video below you can see me trying to move forwards and backwards. Half the time the character randomly moves to the left or right.

I isolated my character, removed almost all unnecessary elements (such as accessories, bones, miscellaneous parts) and ran a quick command to test the behavior and even then the character still breaks. I am running the following code to make the character move in a completely straight line with a brief movement to the right in the middle.

local Controller = game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character.ControllerManager
Controller.MovingDirection = Vector3.new(0, 0, -1)
wait(1.5)
Controller.MovingDirection = Vector3.new(0.05, 0, -1).Unit
wait(0.5)
Controller.MovingDirection = Vector3.new(0, 0, -1)
wait(1.5)
Controller.MovingDirection = Vector3.new(0, 0, 0)

Here is what this looks like from above:

You may notice that for the first half the character is moving fine. Then, as soon as it moves slightly to the right it starts shaking and it does not stop, even when told to move in a straight line again shortly afterwards. Only once the character comes to a full stop does the shaking stop.

I really want to use these physics controllers but I simply cannot use them in my game until this is fixed.

A private message is associated with this bug report

6 Likes

Today I checked the reproduction file I sent in private and it didn’t reproduce the problem anymore. I also noticed a certain flag related to physics controllers was changed shortly after I reported this bug on Friday. For now, I am going to assume that the flag did indeed fix this problem. :smile:

1 Like