Pipe Dash (5M plays!) is looking for feedback!

Bob got a new board display for his shop and hopes for much more sales now!

2 Likes

After three days of intense work I rolled out a big update (game changer if you will), which will allow me to be less involved with the track management. Also, I wonā€™t exceed 4mb data size limit in the keys where I saved all featured/test track dataā€¦ Not my brightest idea.

So now I have tags, which allow me to group the tracks by things like New, Top Rated, Easy (really needed this one), Featured and etc. Tags can be managed manually, but also automatically, since I do collect enough stats for that.

How many tracks are too many tracks? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this is rlly possible but maybe add a race system for the pipes. Like race other people idk. I think it sort of lacks social interaction.

4 Likes

The gameplay is fun, and the obstacles are interesting. My feedback would be:

1. Difficulty feels very nonlinear. Easy tracks feel uneccesarily difficult (or maybe I am just bad at the game.)
  2. The first track I went into had a difficulty rating of 2, which I think should not be right next to the spawn point, and maybe should be gated behind some kind of achievement like, for example, clearing 5 pipes with difficulty rating 1.
  3. Controls feel too rigid, and making small adjustments are hard. I think some kind of easing when you move could be good.

Overall, itā€™s a fun game. Good job!

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!

Itā€™s not you! Most of the player-made tracks are just that hard. It might be that some of them were falsely tagged as ā€œeasyā€ and I will look over it.

Adding more fluidity to controls might make a lot of existing tracks impossible, but I will look into it and might make it adjustable in the settings.

played the game and found it very nice! nice job. Suggestion: Make more variants of obstacle, add some effects you can program when a player enters an areaā€¦ because it seem repetitive.

also to fill the empty same, at your place I would build like mountains around the map, and the pipes inside to make like an effect of entering inside the mountain

1 Like

A lot of obstacles break line of sight more than they need to. Iā€™ve encountered tracks that abuse this so that you canā€™t see the next obstacle just a couple feet past the one youā€™re about to dodge. The camera collision with parts also makes the camera freak out with the more crowded courses. It doesnā€™t help that obstacles of the same type do not contrast well with each other at all when theyā€™re placed one after another. One thing Iā€™d do is adding something like a differently colored or neon material outline around the ā€œholeā€ for those wall obstacles with the cut out section.

I donā€™t think fighting your eyes is the intended challenge of this game.

Also, it seems that our characters are affected by gravity when riding along the walls of the pipe, which is frustrating to account for with a game that requires this much precision.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!

Indeed, they doā€¦ Thatā€™s the unfortunate downside of the track layout and current set (pretty bad one) of obstacles. But thanks to your comment, Iā€™m finally trying to implement the solution Iā€™ve been posponing for quite a while. Obstacles that break the line of sight will go semi or fully transparent.

Cutout obstacle will also be redesigned and potentially even removed, because I really donā€™t like it the way it is now. Most of the obstacles were rushed just to see if they work and I never found time to redesign them.

The point about gravity I sort of agree with, but I tried to do without it and the riding felt a bit too static. I might add some difficulty adjustment options in the future and allow players to turn it off.

3 Likes

your game is really good, but it have 1 big problem, called TAB GLITCHING and FPS DROPS. I just had very low FPS (3-4) idk why and go trough 1 obstacle. Then I tried to do tab-glitch for 15 seconds, and won track in first attmept =\

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know, I didnā€™t know about tab glitching!

However, itā€™s not a huge issue in my eyes, since the game is singleplayer-focused and the experience isnā€™t ruined for other people (with the small exception of completion lists). While eventually I will try to prevent the most obvious exploits, at the moment my time is better spent on improving the game for the majority of players.

1 Like

This year I wasnā€™t prepared for Helloween, but pumpkins came to the rescue. Added pumpkin jar in the tipping area, which lights up and has a candy after someone tips that specific track.

And WHY NOT, also added a pumpkin ride. Which can only be unlocked by tipping tracks during the Helloween period.

I will try to prepare better for the Christmas.

Oh, and also, obstacles that break line of sight to the player during the ride turn semi-transparent now. Will need a bit more tweaking, but it works pretty well already.

2 Likes

Finally, got copy & paste functions working in the track editor! This will be a tremendous help, especially when it works between tracks. So far itā€™s only on PC.

Next major stop will be UNDO, which is a bit more complicated.

3 Likes

Polished design, I love it!! I think the style is great and every thing. I canā€™t wait to play it.

honestly i love this game! i played it about two weeks ago and i came back now and so much progress has been made! remember me when you get famous.

1 Like

Hereā€™s my Premium playtime earnings for the first couple of months, which might be interesting to some. I still donā€™t understand what those big spikes are, but given first one was from a very few players and not a full month, I expected the second to be 2-3 times higher (netting something like 5k bux). Yet it was not that differentā€¦ Disappointing!

At least there are smaller bumps of 0-100 bux scattered around, so maybe those are the ones that matter. I havenā€™t seen how normal Premium earning graph looks like.

3 Likes

Cool! I definitely think this will blow up if it is advertised/sponsored often.

1 Like

Advertising in Roblox is generally not worth it, as a start Iā€™d recommend TikTok, Twitter, YouTube, contacting YouTubers and streamers, also perhaps collaborating with other studios to bring attention to your own.

I recommend adding Premium rewards like a special board.

1 Like

In my experience, avertising (Sponsorships) in Roblox can be worth it, but the game has to be engaging and fully monetized. Which Pipe Dash is not, since I have only one game pass and donā€™t advertise it much.

Twitter is pretty much dead, but I have already been using Tiktok and Youtube pretty successfully (most of the visits so far has been via my Tiktok channel).

How to reach English-speaking Roblox influencers I have no clue :slight_smile:

3 Likes