Pizza Place Cross-platform play disabled on Xbox

Work at a Pizza Place Xbox players can no longer play with mobile and PC players since my last Halloween update on Sunday.

A new place was added to the universe in that update so that is most likely the culprit: https://www.roblox.com/games/2521233669/Maze-of-Terror

I used my alternate account on my Xbox one and my main account on my PC to enter Pizza Place. The accounts were not able to join the same server together when they pressed “Play”. My alternate account ended up in a server with only other Xbox players. However, if one of the accounts manually joins the other, the accounts are able join the same server together.

Mobile and PC accounts were able to join together automatically after pressing play. It seems to me as though matchmaking is automatically grouping mobile players with other mobile players and PC players with other PC only if they do not have a friend already playing the game already.

(In case it is relevant: I use TeleportToPrivateServer to teleport players to the new universe place. Seems to work fine for every platform.)

3 Likes

Hey there @Dued1! I just went into your game and asked if others were on computer or not they all responded yes. I see your issue. If I could get more info I think I along with others could help find the issue. Are you trying to make a API server if so how’d you do it? I think they’re 2 ways to do it. Please tell me the way you did it. Thanks from John. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not sure what an API server is. I can’t think of any more details I can give to help solve the issue.

Are all places in the universe set to be accessible for console? What API methods do you use to teleport players around? How did you establish that these players can’t play with each other anymore, and do you think it could be a result of matchmaking? (i.e. can you manually join in on a friend that is playing on Xbox while you are on PC, or does it prevent you from doing that?)

Yes, all the checkboxes are checked under “Playable devices” in each place.

I use TeleportToPrivateServer to teleport players to the new universe place. Seems to work fine for every platform.

I used my alternate account on my Xbox one and my main account on my PC to enter Pizza Place. The accounts were not able to join the same server together when they pressed “Play”. My alternate account ended up in a server with only other Xbox players. However, if one of the accounts manually joins the other, the accounts are able join the same server together.

Mobile and PC accounts were able to join together automatically after pressing play. After @Strongjohnfgamer’s reply, it seems to me as though matchmaking is automatically grouping mobile players with other mobile players and PC players with other PC only if they do not have a friend already playing the game already.

1 Like

I didn’t know Xbox was cross-platform with PC and mobile. I thought they weren’t at first?

1 Like

I dont know if i am going off topic here but.
whenever i go on the xbox and go to my own place i will be placed in a separate server.
but wasn’t it always that xbox has their own servers and don’t cross play with mobile and pc?
so this could be the reason for your issue.

the game i was talking about is called Would you rather By DutchStudio’s
maybe you could check if you have the same issue in my game

They weren’t, but a few months ago it was changed to have cross platform with everyone unless the game is Experimental/FE Disabled (which shouldn’t be possible anymore, but this bug proves otherwise).

Also I received 5-6 reports of players not being able to play with their friends on xbox in the past week. First time I’ve had reports related to xbox cross-platform issues.

I’ve also had reports of people on Xbox not being able to play with others on any platform for awhile… I assume its related to this same issue

Moved to Xbox bugs and added over some of the information into the first post.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Was this resolved ?

1 Like

I just encountered this same issue with our game ALONE.

I’ve set up an external webserver used for matchmaking, so that matchmaking is not dependent on platform or what menu server you’re in. When a match is found, the webserver tells users a place id and reserved server id to teleport to. Everything works fine, except users on console for some reason get teleported into a different server (even with the same reserved id!).

This leads to players getting a “match found with X players” message while being teleported into a server with only Y players. It can even lead to players seemingly finding a match but then entering an empty server with only them being in it. Terrible experience, and it can’t be solved unless we either do in-server matchmaking only, across the board, or get some type of API for checking if a server is console-only or not.

Is this a bug? What should we do?

Sorry to necro this thread, but we found a potential issue on our side. Even though Workspace.FilteringEnabled is effectively true for all play sessions, we still have some logic floating around based on how this value is set in your place files. If you explicitly set Workspace.FilteringEnabled to true in all of your places it may help with this issue.

1 Like