Place experiencing quick drop in FPS after joining

Reproduction Steps
So basically when a player joins a place, for example this one where it was mostly reported

https://www.roblox.com/games/2569453732/Nukes-Rise-of-Nations

Their FPS starts off normally but then rapidly drops to single digit numbers within 5-15 minutes. In one report, their FPS dropped from 45 FPS to 8 in the span of 15 minutes. It is odd as i have not made any recent updates to the game that would cause this to occur

What is strange is that it only seems to effect clients that use roblox launched directly from the website. Roblox app and mobile players are completely unaffected

This is the microprofiler dump of one of the players affected by this issue

microprofile-20211210-200429.html (5.0 MB)

Expected Behavior
There should be no FPS drop occurring

Actual Behavior
There is significant FPS drop occurring

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: High
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2021-12-09 22:12:00 (-04:00)

10 Likes

Same happening to my places, lowering the graphics to 9 or lower usually fixes the significant FPS drops, but I haven’t changed anything in my game either.

Disabling Future lighting technology also seems to fix the performance issues, could it be related to that?

1 Like

Same thing is happening here in Phantom Forces though not as severe. (around 4ms on average)
I noticed this performance hit is always apparent when there is particle emitters in the viewing frustum of the camera. I don’t know exactly when this started happening but it was definitely sometime in the past week.

EDIT: I believe this is directly tied with this issue

1 Like

I fixed this with updating my directx-vulkan driver to the latest version, however I’m on Linux. Also, the player works for me now, only the Studio doesn’t work.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

I believe this is related to (caused by the same problem as) this issue: Particles, beams, and trails all disappearing, not disappearing when supposed to, and causing performance issues - #37 by POOPENGUIN

I have a fix for this. I’m working with other people in Roblox to get the fix into production as soon as I can.

3 Likes

I have reason to believe this issue has returned

Exact same symptoms as before, Place FPS is fine when initially joining but then gradually deteriorates over time.

This appears to have started with the release of the new Particle flipbook feature

3 Likes

I would be inclined to agree, that this is indeed, still an issue.

1 Like