Place Open Improvements [Test]

Ever since the last studio update I’ve been experiencing a performance decrease when switching windows during a local server play test, I’m not sure if it’s directly related to this but I’m getting the launch UI for it.

Here’s a video

10 Likes

I just opened some places, did not expect them to load so fast, can’t even press the cancel button on smaller places now, you could add a cancel button which shows only when the game hasn’t fully loaded yet:

(if it’s possible)

3 Likes

kinda had a goofy bug where the first time i opened it after it getting updating with this feature it just kinda

froze

for a few days?? i couldnt close it either

3 Likes

Relatable, frame rate drops to around 15, pretty sure its intentional
edit* most likely to make it so it uses less resources

3 Likes

This seems to break the new studio UI :pensive::

2 Likes

Diagnostics bar does not appear after “Place Open Improvements” - Bug Reports / Studio Bugs - Developer Forum | Roblox

Got enrolled into this somewhat recently. For opening a root place, I think it makes sense in theory - albeit feels a bit slower.

However for multi-place publishing (e.g. universes with many subplaces) this adds WAY too much friction. Each subplace open takes way longer due to the new UI prompt, stealing mouse focus, and being unable to shift windows until the UI is gone.

Could this be turned off for places opened from within the Asset Manager widget? Conversely, could we get the “Publish Whole Game” flow back (publish all of a universe’s subplaces in one click)? Honestly the latter would be ideal as updating subplaces have a LOT of friction agnostic of this test.

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. It’s a known issue that we are resolving. The two changes have an interaction with timing.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! We’re looking to fix this issue shortly.

2 Likes

Seems I’ve been enrolled into this and oh my God the improvement is night and day difference.

Before, I would need 5 minutes to open some of our internal testing places and now I barely get up from my desk and the place is already loaded. Thank you so much for this.

2 Likes

Would it make sense to not have this for local client testing? Unless I’m misunderstanding what this does - having the client half-loaded yet still responsive WRT user input is good for testing edge cases related to latency + loading.

1 Like

Getting the same issue but found a way to temporarily fix the fps drop

Open studio playtest and then go into the roblox menu and change the maximum frame rate from the default of 60 to 240 then it should fix itself (sort of)

It appears that roblox is throttling unfocused windows fps to 25% of the maximum frame rate set, so if the default is 60 then it’s set to 15 fps when unfocused. So if you set it to 240 then 25% of 240 is 60 and it doesn’t give you that 15 fps drop and instead just drops to 60 fps.

Hope this helped! :smile:
@MeshOfPaul @tnavarts @bg9

1 Like

That’s intentional, it’s done to avoid hogging system resources while running in the background.

1 Like

Could it just be made into a studio setting? It’s getting into the way of a couple of things like two player testing and using hoarcekat with roact/fusion in vscode because the low fps in studio doesn’t let me see the animations properly. It’s really annoying for people using external editors and a second monitor :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with what Datasigh said, or at least make it a FFlag that we can disable. This is annoying when trying to record or test a feature that requires 2 players (specifically vfx related) because it makes everything seem laggy for the unfocused window.

2 Likes

A feature that seems to be missing with this UI is being able to easily navigate it with a keyboard
(like tab to the cancel button and pressing enter to cancel it)

Key navigation in general needs major improvements. Are you talking about on the Place Open dialog though (the original topic of this post)?

The only thing I think we could do here is focus the keyboard on the cancel button which I don’t think our UX designers would approve of due to how easy it would be to accidentally cancel the opening operation.

1 Like

Yeah it doesn’t need to instantly be focused but you could possibly move it there using the tab key as thats what most things do if thats possible? Wouldn’t really be a huge deal if that wasn’t a thing tho

1 Like

Not sure if anyone has talked about it in this thread already but longer game names look ood (known issues didn’t have it)

1 Like

Thanks so much for letting us know!

1 Like