Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles

Personally, I think the algorithm changes this will help few. I didnt like the CCU hiding behind the friend played icon As a dev this helped me 0 and I have to click on groups to see my CCU. But I think a change to the overall rating system would help even more. Showcase LIkes of a game rather than a % rating. Rating can tell if a game is utter trash but its far to hard for a good game to crawl out of a dislike hole then it is for someone to glance and see how many players liked the game youtube does this and their algo will rise to the top upvoted games the most vs trash videos. I do like the 16:9 ratio however and will give me a better opertunity to create a better game icon.

3 Likes

Meh. All I have to do is download a browser extension to bring back the CCU counter anyway. Ones bound to be made.

2 Likes

Hi Dylan,

We are removing Offline Friend activity(X friends) today as well.Our experiments show that the Offline Friend activity in its current state “X friends” is not useful to the users. In the future, we’ll work on making this information better by showing evidence of whether your friends enjoyed the experience

7 Likes

Friends recently played should come back. It was very useful for finding new games that you and friends might enjoy playing together. Now, discovery just recommends me games we might not ever play, even just by ourselves.

The “X friends” was almost useless since it only even appeared if you recently played it anyways, on top of it showing the number weeks later, even if the friend only played it once.

Excited to see what the new feature you just mentioned will be.

5 Likes

What’s the point? Many players won’t join an experience if the player count is low. Once again, Roblox has provided a change that does not benefit the developer community. Additionally, developer resources would be better expended in other areas, such as fixing the myriad of bug reports and implementing features that the community has been asking for for years.

5 Likes

I still think it’s a mistake to solely rely on game ratings with this new thumbnail view. It is very easy for the rating to be manipulated, intentionally or otherwise, and will lead to a growth in copycat games as the player count won’t be easily visible to dissuade people from playing these.

I seriously don’t understand why something like the below can’t be done

5 Likes

Hmm… The update is already out. But why Sponsored experience is still showing Icon not 16:9 experience tiles?

2 Likes

They probably haven’t gotten to that part of it yet. With the Agile development methodology, you roll features out over time.

1 Like

Now THIS is awesome

Thanks Roblox, very cool :+1:

5 Likes

Oh thank you!!! Another great decision!

I’m pretty sure this was intentional

Isn’t it important to know if there are actually other players playing a game in some cases? For example, if there’s a minigame that requires 2 players to start.

Either way, not a fan of deferring to only showing the like/dislike ratio for these reasons:

There is still real estate to show CCU. Hiding it due to abuse makes minimal sense, as other aspects can and will always be gamed. If CCU is gamed, deprioritize the game from discovery instead. Making game stats + discovery even more of a black box for users is not user-friendly and feels coddling. It is not a delightful experience, especially for older users, even if metrics show a “positive” change.

5 Likes

How? It will increase player count on generally less populated games because people won’t be joining based on player count.

2 Likes

W updateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3 Likes

If a game is actively showing up on the Discover page, I think it’s very unlikely it would have less than 100 players, let alone 0 players. And with this update I expect those games with the least players to have a better shot at getting more players quickly.

1 Like

This change is to the home page, not the discover page. Assuming that was just a mistake in your message, that’s not universally true. Most of the games I get recommended have very few players at any given time, because I spend most of my playtime in niche corners of the platform.

A lot of them are clanning games that only lose out from not having playercount displayed, since they’re not meant to always have people on, but instead rally a good number all at once at specific times. Quite a lot of smaller group games are built around the premise of only being enjoyable when people are online to host events and not being able to see when that is at a glance outside of Discord is lame.

2 Likes

Seems to boost player counts on games that previously had less players.

Screenshot of Live CCUs on an old dying tycoon.

4 Likes

I hope an extension such as ro pro adds this.

1 Like

A moment of silence to devs who have a higher difficulty or complexity games that are being downrated to oblivion by players who want every experience to have an “autoplay” button.

3 Likes

tl;dr Give me genres. Good change though, and welcome to see how it plays out.

I will never believe this as genuine until developer-defined genre sorting makes a return and algorithms favour other factors besides monetisation (they probably do but it feels like they don’t). There needs to be more aggressive steps towards providing niches a chance to shine. This is a great first step in that direction, but I still need the whole package.

Popularity bias still exists in the algorithms and sorts that are not picked out by developers but instead by staff and/or automation, which will continue to be absurd. I hope and pray these are moves towards trusting developers with genre sorts because last time there was a disappointingly unsatisfactory answer about the return of genres.

1 Like