Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles

The change makes sense. People will brush off games with smaller CCU more quickly. Just leaving it only to be seen after expanding the experience details page makes sense since they’ll at least get to see what the game is about, along with its playercount.

The knee-jerk reactions seem unwarranted since the post claims Roblox did its fair share of research prior to getting these conclusions. Best to see how this turns out.

23 Likes

I could care less about player counts on my homepage, but ratings need to stay. I would much rather see if people think a game is good than how many people are playing it.

11 Likes

It’s the Youtube Dislike Removal situation all over again

15 Likes

I think this will only be an issue on the Website itself and not the Apps. The Apps show info by clicking on it, which opens up a card.

On a Browser, it opens a new tab, which is way more annoying JUST to view the player count.

Keep in mind: JUST to view the player count I’m not anticipating to make the Browser open such a card like the other Roblox Apps as well.

8 Likes

the new tiles are going to lag or crash lower end devices

11 Likes

Going to leave this here for you all: Add CCU back to "tiles"

13 Likes

This is a great update backed by actual testing Roblox did. Not sure why it’s getting negative feedback when it’s been tested and proven to increase engagement by a significant amount.

For all of the devs complaining about not being able to compare experiences quickly. Would you rather save 2 seconds by not having to click on the experience or gain a potential 10% increase in player engagement?

This is an update to help bring players to our experiences, especially smaller experiences. Not an update for devs to do as little work as possible and save 2 seconds for a mundane task that you can just hop on Rolimons or any other Roblox database for. Which is much better for market research anyway.

I welcome this update and am excited to see what’s next (thumbnail personalization!)

17 Likes

This is why I’m not mad about this change. The data backs up the hypothesis, so I won’t argue what is statistically beneficial for creators. It’s not even a close margin.

33 Likes

What I want to say guys is that sadly if you pay attention to what they said they aren’t asking your opinion. They just announce that they will do this, not “IF” they will.
Just like YouTube with their dislikes

6 Likes

With enough critism, they’ve removed, reverted, or reworked updates.

6 Likes

They are doing this in the best interest of creators. I’m interpreting that their analytics have shown that showing playercounts makes it harder for new games to thrive, causing new games to need social media & ads to get the word out.

I’m optimistic about this change, this is a W for discovery and smaller creators! Comparing with YouTube dislikes is not a valid comparison. On YouTube, dislikes would be shown when the video is already clicked on.

16 Likes

Please don’t do this :sweat_smile: It’s already annoying enough not seeing the player counts half the time.

10 Likes

Don’t do this lol. I don’t even know why IT WAS CHANGED in the FIRST PLACE.

11 Likes

Why not just let the owner of the experience toggle if the CCU should be displayed or not? Why force everybody into this

8 Likes

While the thought process of it all is interesting and especially when backed up with:

I think this only hurts smaller experiences in all honesty. Removing concurrent and only having rating, a metric that is ridiculously cheesed into existence, is only going to further the stupid tactics developers have to take to maintain a good rating.

Right now, there is nothing that a player gets from :+1:ing an experience. However, if a user has a bad time, they are far more likely to :-1: the experience, believing (after being trained on systems like YouTube & Spotify) that showing what things you don’t like to the algorithm will farm more of what you do like.

Because of this, developers have been incentivized into creating “Like Milestone Rewards” to make players actually hit the like button. In Fortnite as of lately, creators have been asking players to like their experience for a direct reward (and then because the API doesn’t let you check if they liked it, no reward is given.) I could see this happening more and more on Roblox, as the only metric showing on the game is the like rating.

My biggest suggestion for a while has been trying to link favorites & likes more together, or maybe ask the player if they want to give a like to the game when they favorite it? Something to help games actually receive likes without having developers force input from the player through “rewards”. In games where there is no like rewards, you tend to find favorites outweighing the total votes by a large margin:

Whereas, a game like Pet Sim 99 has like milestone rewards and the result of that…

Notably Pet Sim 99’s likes is 1.999M so, nearly double the likes to favorites.
Compare that to the other 3 I’ve shown, and favorites are more than double the likes.

Prioritizing likes on the tiles is going to lead to very bad implementation of needing your game to gain likes… and that’s not a future I want to see come to Roblox.

P.S. I don’t actually think games installing Like Rewards is a bad thing the developer is doing. This is a thing they have to do because Roblox doesn’t do anything to incentivize players to actually hit like on games. No hate to Pet Sim 99 for doing what they do. I’m hating the game, not the player.

18 Likes

Analytics over kids to manipulate them then yeah. But for someone like me, it does make it harder but actually to be honest I don’t care that much because all this needs is an extension to alter the html and show it on the experience for the web so I am good either way.

And regarding “This is a W for discovery” idk using that gamer word is cringe.

However this is a 50-50 case. From the one side yes it will improve discovery but also acknowledge that it will also increase the chance equally on playing actually bad experiences because they used AI to generate their thumbnail and whatever and that’s gonna be annoying.

EDIT: In the end of the day these changes are just so minimal and small instead of focusing more on the game Engine, rather on useless things in my opinion

10 Likes

This is so youtube removing the dislike button coded

14 Likes

Roblox has separate teams for the engine versus the website versus other domains in far more granularity than I can describe. This opinion is not sound.

Let’s have faith that Roblox will improve the algorithm to the point that blatantly undesirable games are simply not recommended. We will get there eventually.

9 Likes

All this does is create a market for a web plugin that fixes the Roblox user experience.

17 Likes

Please do not do this. Everyone else here has pretty much said it, so there’s no need for me to explain.

9 Likes