Player randomly being disconnected from server but still replicating to other clients

So this is what have been causing the data loss in my game?! I continue to get reports of some people getting disconnected from the game and then they join back and have no data.

I had to implement data locking myself so this issue doesn’t happen and I will be releasing it this Friday.

That said, what’s the issue causing this random fake connection loss in my game? Looks like the lost connection message is showing to some players (mostly on mobile) while they are still connected to the server causing PlayerRemoving to not trigger. Then they click the Reconnect button which teleports them to the game lobby, and GetAsync in the Lobby for sure will return the previous data they had since SetAsync didn’t finish its job in the last server.

For me, it looks like RakNet froze (since RakNet stats are frozen when this connection loss happens), it happens more frequently on large/laggy games

The earliest I could remember when I started getting this issue is since early 2022

Can someone tell me how to find the server IP?

I seem to be able to reproduce it quite consistently in a test environment of ours. If someone from Roblox wants to DM me, I can give them access to play with it.

Ugh this issue has been haunting me for the past year or so it’s a struggle , man you can barely a play a game for more than an hour.If someone has discovered a solution it would mean a lot to me if you would post it here. cheers

I am not experiencing the issue on my PC. Are there any reproduction steps I could follow?

I believe this might be the cause, since I haven’t gotten that error for years now.

Good PC specs, the only thing I think matters here is the internet connection. It is possible that the high-speed connection causes the problem (I don’t even have half a gigabit). If anyone experiencing the issue comes across this, try using a slower connection like a USB Wi-Fi dongle and see if it solves the issue.

It is possible that users experiencing the issue are in a certain location. Me, living in Washington, appear to be far from the closest Roblox servers. I’m not sure whether this lies in region or not, but it’s a possibility.

I was upgraded to the new app about 2.5 months ago, so I appear to be one of the first ones to try it publicly (through an A/B test I assume). However, I didn’t upgrade Roblox on my other PC which has higher specs, so I might be experiencing the issue on my desktop if I upgraded.

1 Like

I believe it may be related to certain games’ features, not to the client. It seems to affect some games much worse than others.

I say this because our Skate game seems extremely plagued by it.

If I hop around a few servers, I am almost guaranteed to find one affected by this bug. I enter the server, and get disconnected within a few minutes. The server doesn’t appear to be laggy, no errors that I can see.

I was send Bug Support some of the client logs from the affected experience. Hope to get to the bottom of it!

1 Like

If you can send the link to this game, I can check it out tomorrow. I can’t find any possible way to reproduce the bug on my end… yet.

This behavior is pretty odd, seemingly the game engine is overly courteous of the Player API, such as

Player.PlayerRemoving

My hunch comes from the fact that, no matter the circumstance, there HAS to be some form of yield for disconnects. (But it varies too much)

If you abruptly close the application while in-game, sometimes the player will exist for a moment, and sometimes the player will exist for many seconds. This can happen on any game that’s not using custom API, ones that deliberately hook a PlayerRemoving signal and start destroying instances. Yes, the Player instance can still exist in Players.

1 Like

That’s our game: SPLASH ⭐ Skate & Music - Roblox

If you visit the Skate Park to the left of the lobby. Then in Skate Park, open Apps (the pink button on the left) and choose Hop (server hop). If you visit enough servers, you will eventually find one in this state. At least, I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The player instance doesn’t even need to exist in Players (setting it to nil basically kicks the player without the message). I can hear this happening in the background after pressing ALT+F4 to close the program, and I can hear the audio still playing.

That absolutely proves the application is still existing in system tasks for any given duration!

1 Like

the latest roblox client update seemed to have fixed it i havent experienced this issue for the past week
:smiley:

Update: Issue still persists on select games ,mostly those ,which require demanding system requirements to play/operate

We haven’t gotten recent reports of this specific issue anymore so it is not effecting us. I haven’t experienced it in other games when playing for the past month either.

sweet seems it has been resolved

After relentless troubleshooting , I wasnt able to resolve the issue so i caved in and resorted to do a clean reinstall of my entire laptop.Everything seems to be okay and relatively stable , which I am immensely thankful for.

Update:An unstable internet connection or a faulty Wifi driver may be the cause of this issue.I recommend manually updating your wifi drivers if you frequently experience this aggravating hindrance.

If you are using mediatek drivers(And possess an Asus product) I suggest downloading your drivers from this Web-Link(I myself have downloaded my drivers from my Webpage and I havent run into any problems yet.Also I have observed a very noticeable and positive change in performance

The forum post is regularly updated and maintained with every release so you dont have to fret over downloading archaic and dated drivers.