Player randomly being disconnected from server but still replicating to other clients

Reproduction Steps

Game Link: [REVIVE] Oil Warfare Tycoon - Roblox

System Information:

• Intel Core i9 12900K
  • 64Gb DDR5 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti
  • 500Gb Sata SSD
  • High speed 1gig internet connection via Ethernet

Expected Behavior

Player should be able to play the game as usual when having a stable internet connection.

Actual Behavior

The player essentially disconnects from the server so nothing from servers scripts are able to detect the player and remote events dont work but the player is still able to move around and other people in game can see the movement.
Player health also doesnā€™t function, same with respawning.

This issue happens very randomly, some people have it but most people are able to play fine.
This is specifically happening to me a lot but I have seen other people report it for my game too.

The issue was happening since yesterday when my Roblox app and many others got updated to the new one however I did try reinstalling it and it did not fix the issue.

When this happens, I am also unable to view the server sided dev console in my own game:

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Connectivity
Impact: Very High
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: 2022-07-15 00:07:00 (-07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-07-16 00:07:00 (-07:00)

18 Likes

Experiencing a similar issue at one of my games ( [RAID] Castle Beaumont - Roblox).
I was unable to post it myself sadly because my DevForum account seems bugged at this instance, for which I contacted a DevRel member on the boards: hopefully that issue will be resolved soon.

Now, back on topic;
The player that ā€˜disconnectsā€™ is still connected to the server and remains subject to things like admin commands driven by the server, but is unable to interact with anything and anyone else on the server on own accord.

Players that reported this bug are able to walk around freely (on their screen) but no longer replicate their actions to the server.

An impacted player shared their point of view with me, showcasing that our point of view are completely out of sync.

The playerā€™s character on the server loses ā€˜lifelinessā€™ and falls to the floor after spawning;
Impacted player falling to the floor after spawning.

They are also not able to interact with other players on the server as shown in following video.
Impacted player can not use their sword on any of the other players.

The person in question shared her microprofiler dump with me to help analyse the issue and enrich bug information;
MicroProfile Capture.html (3.0 MB)

First reports of the issue came in on Thursday, ever since the latest Roblox update.

This is the first moment that players started reporting this issue, including a mention of being disconnected with error code 266 after several minutes of being affected by this bug.

Additionally, as of today, players seemingly no longer got disconnected by Roblox with error code 266 and are able to permanently run around in their bugged state.

No changes to the place were made whatsoever recently that couldā€™ve caused this issue from appearing.
There were no reports of issues for this game or any other of our games on the previous Roblox version.
Reports came from users on PC (Windows) and phone (Android).

Hopefully this additional information proves helpful to Roblox engineers.

11 Likes

I saw this playing our game yesterday. The key detail is that I could not see the Server dev console and couldnā€™t seem to interact with the server at all, although I could move around.

This is also occurring for me. Dev console will stop allowing me to access server side.

Randomly stops replicating from the client to the server. I can see other players move around.

ā€œPlayers that reported this bug are able to walk around freely (on their screen) but no longer replicate their actions to the server.ā€ -Peekay, this is also what Iā€™m seeing.

6 Likes

This happens to me and others I know a lot, we call it ghost disconnects. It happens in my games, popular front page games, and a lot of games that contain a lot of assets. The player who got ghost disconnected can walk around freely, but donā€™t replicate to server, and shows their chat on the server but not the client. I have a feeling it may be too many unions or mesh parts, but I am unsure.

Iā€™ve been experiencing this exact issue, server log missing from the dev console and all, since at least yesterday. I could see server controlled characters spawn in and move around, though I couldnā€™t affect them in any way in this state.

It has generally been happening to me within a minute or two of joining a server, though Iā€™ve only encountered it by myself since Iā€™ve been play testing a solo project, and have only been playing for five minute bursts at any given time, so my experience probably isnā€™t super representative of the larger issue.

1 Like

This has started happening to me recently in some games. I can move and I see everyone else moving around with no issue. Yet my chat will not show up at all for me and tools donā€™t work. Shift + F3 will show the ping consistently increasing and never goes down.

Seems to be an issue with packets sending out that are breaking/stops working entirely, but receiving packets just randomly breaks is fine.

1 Like

We started to see this problem last night in our game.

As described above.

Only addition info: since our game only gets up to 5 - 7 servers running we were able to observe and determine it was much worse in one server in particular.

This is interesting. I think I can do something to roll back the behavior. Sadly that means disconnects. But this is the first good data Iā€™ve heard of for this issue that I think has existed for several years just at a lower rate.

Let me know specific place/universe idā€™s and if you have client logs, probably server ip address. And anything that is interesting. And any extra details you might have that would be useful. It would be nice to know if client and server both agreed that Player still exists under Players and ClientReplicator/ServerReplicator still exist under NetworkClient/NetworkServer.

Hopefully we can get this issue fixed instead of just issuing disconnects.

10 Likes

Heyo, this problem has been happening to me personally on quite a few games:
Grand Piece Online
Deepwoken
Project Slayers
Clips of the issue sent in from other players as well:
Grand Piece Online: Streamable Link
Streamable Link 2
Project Slayer: Medal Link

I can confirm that this issue has existed for a long time, just hasnā€™t been as prevalent, the latest update to Roblox seems to have worsened the issue. Iā€™ll see if I can get some client logs and server IPs for when it happens from players on the games I develop for, but no promises. Also as for the Player instance, it exists on both the server and the client but Iā€™m not quite sure for the Replicators. Iā€™ve also noticed that rejoining the same server the issue has happened to you in, will most likely have the issue happen again. (I had rejoined the same server 3 times and the issue would occur within 5-10 minutes of game play.)

The easiest way to tell if the issue is occurring is to just check if your ping is frozen but things are still moving and replicating.

EDIT: Messaged multiple client logs privately through DevForum PMs.

8 Likes

Also experiencing this in my game. Strangely enough, it only became an issue after I restarted all the servers for an update today, and thereā€™s nothing in the update that would cause this. Symptoms are exactly as described above.

Ive actually gotten this twice not even in my own games, literally just playing PF and Arsenal, itā€™s almost as if youre some sort of ā€˜ghostā€™. My brother got it as well, weā€™re on the same network so Im not sure if that impacts my validity but Ive been getting it OFTEN. Like every 10 mins or so. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah I have been having this issue in Jailbreak, my ping gets stuck, my character is unable to interact with anything in the game but Iā€™m still able to see everyone else playing the game, and it seems like my character gets stuck at the place the glitch starts happening as someone was punching me at a place I wasnā€™t at anymore. Then I was unable to respawn, so far the only thing I can do is rejoin and hope it doesnā€™t happen again.

This happens to me extremely often in Grand Piece Online (GPO). There are times where Iā€™m fighting against an enemy (usually an NPC) and Iā€™ll get stuck in place, unable to move for a certain amount of time. I then start to lose health and I either lose most of it or I end up getting gripped (killed).

And in PvP, this could be detrimental as I could lose a portion of my bounty. I think there was a ping fix update for the game several days ago and that seemed to help slightly, but the issue is definitely still there.

There are times when my attacks (Bazooka in specific) donā€™t register, and my arms stay extended until my next move. However, I donā€™t know if this is related to a bug on ROBLOXā€™s or the gameā€™s end.

Iā€™m sure this has caused some players to either quit playing a game or not play it at all if theyā€™ve heard of the issue from someone else, so itā€™s possible that developers are losing revenue due to this.

In fact, this is one of the issues that Grand Piece Online players talk about the most, and a simple YouTube search will bring up quite a few videos on the matter. This one, for example:

People shouldnā€™t stop playing a game because of something the developers canā€™t fix. If this is an issue on ROBLOXā€™s end, then it should be fixed immediately to help ensure that games can provide the best experience for their players.

About two months ago me and a few other developers were experiencing this & the server log would print ā€œSecurity Timeout UserIdā€.

Me and my friends are still getting this issue (it appears at random) & itā€™s the exact same behaviour described from this thread too. Except ā€œSecurity Timeoutā€ doesnā€™t appear anymore.

Link to previous thread:

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed this issue sporadically only after shutting down servers yesterday in my game. I have 260+ servers and it only occurs at all in a random few. It is extremely frustrating to players as when they reconnect (to the same server) it just makes the issue worse. It makes for a really bad representation of the game to unlucky players and I have been trying to imagine anything I couldā€™ve added to cause this to happen for hours and Iā€™m struggling to think of a cause.

2 Likes

Something similar happens to me on every single game I play. It happens the most when I tab out of Roblox then return. Everyone is frozen but if I am talking to someone else thatā€™s playing the game with me, they donā€™t even notice I have disconnected until I leave. On their end I can also still move around.

This has made Roblox unplayable for me and itā€™s extremely frustrating, I canā€™t play any longer games without the worry of being kicked anywhere from 5mins to 1 hour in.

It may just be my internet as I have just moved into a more remote location with higher ping, but I can play any other online game without disconnects.

I thought I was crazy when this happened to me last week.

It acted like a server shutdown but nobody had shut our servers down.

2 Likes

This mainly seems to occur when you are afk in a game.

This is seriously a massive bug. Been having it for MONTHS. Everything from my end seems to be all good. I decided to also use mobile data which fixed the problem, so the problem could potentially be the router. Do you leave your router on all time?