Players do not move with ship

Hi, this is my first time posting, I don’t know if this belongs in the Art Design category or not

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want a ship that players can stand/move around on, I’m using the animation editor to move the ship around
  2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    the issue is that once someone tries to board the ship, the player doesn’t move along with the ship
  3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I couldn’t find anything that related to such an issue, i only found moving platform videos, but those can only go one way
    After that, you should include more details if you have any. Try to make your topic as descriptive as possible, so that it’s easier for people to help you!

how is the ship moving exactly, tweens or something else?

What you can do is move the players parallel to the boat at the same speed and velocity, so in that case anyone onboard will not fall off the ship once its starts moving.

NOTE however this will affect the players movement

No, it’s the animation editor

I’m very new to scripting, how could i do that?

okay, another question; should the players be able to move around in the boat while it’s moving or is that not required?

Also FYI, the players fall off because they are not part of the animation, so they won’t react to it’s movements

I would prefer that, but it’s okay to not have

Why are you using an animation anyways? Why don’t you just tween the boats position or use a BodyMover

I have no experience with scripting, but i know how to animate, so i thought that would work

It was quite awhile ago that Roblox had an announcement on it here

The problem is that the players aren’t part of the animation so they won’t move like @RighteousCaty12334 said

If you wanna learn about tweens then read up on this page in the DeveloperHub!
Tween (roblox.com)

tweens allow smooth movement of a part’s property (color, position, size etc) through scripting and is very customizable

When I look at the tutorials for this, they only do models that go back and forth, and they don’t rotate either, but i need both of those for it to work properly

Hi, the reason your players fall off is because animations have no physics to them, players do, meaning their position won’t be affected by the ship.
The best thing you can do is using a BodyMover\BodyPosition or search on the DevForum, I’m sure there are plenty of solutions.
I found this thread which might help you:
Jailbreak train platform system? - Help and Feedback / Scripting Support - DevForum | Roblox

Correct me if I’m wrong, but tweens don’t simulate physics either, meaning it won’t help him since it’ll achive the same effect as using animations… :sweat_smile:

Is there a way I could apply physics to animations?

That’s what I was trying to say because I’ve heard if you use a BodyMover the player won’t fall off the platform as with a tween they will and with an anim!

1 Like

I think the best bet is to use a BodyMover, instead of trying to simulate the physics

You could make nodes and make the ship follow them using position and orientation constraint.

tweens can rotate and move a model though. but now that i think about it, calcifers is actually correct.

I use tweens a lot but i haven’t used them in trying to move a player so i wasn’t sure at first