Player's field of view | Bird's eye perspective

I found a post on stack overflow: algorithm - How to determine if a point is in a 2D triangle? - Stack Overflow

3 Likes

i can write up some code to demonstrate but basically you want to use two parts, rectangles, that overlap, and position them at 45’s from the player

example:

4 Likes

you can also do this with UI (and i’d suggest it)

3 Likes

An example would be helpful because I’m not sure I’m sure what you mean

2 Likes

I can’t do it that way, because you will see the player even if it is very very dark, so I would like to make a special triangle like in the picture, to enter my own values of what should happen in them, etc.

2 Likes

You want smth like this?

4 Likes

I used particles but it just would not work on low end devices

2 Likes

That’s exactly the kind of thing you had in mind

2 Likes

That’s why I want to do away with particles, so that there is no advantage for weaker equipment

2 Likes

So here is what I did:

Create A Part with a flashlight in it. Part must be anchored and uncollidable (and invisible)

SpotLight Settings:
Angle: 120
Brightness: 20
Range: 60
Shadows: Disabled

Lighting Changed Settings:
Ambient: 0, 0, 0
Brightness: 0
EnvironmentDiffuseScale: 0
EnvironmentSpecularScale: 0
OutdoorAmbient: 0,0,0
Technology: Future

and this is the script i used

local player = game:GetService("Players").LocalPlayer
local character = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
local hRP = character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")
local camera = workspace.CurrentCamera
local fl = game.ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("fl")
local flashlight = fl:Clone()
flashlight.Parent = hRP
camera.CameraType = Enum.CameraType.Scriptable

local mouse = player:GetMouse()

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function()
	local characterpos = character:GetPivot().Position
	character:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(CFrame.new(hRP.CFrame.Position, Vector3.new(mouse.Hit.Position.X, hRP.CFrame.Position.Y, mouse.Hit.Position.Z)))
	local Distance = math.clamp((camera.CFrame.Position - characterpos).Magnitude, 20, 20)
	camera.CFrame = CFrame.lookAt(characterpos + Vector3.new(0, Distance, 0.5), characterpos)
	flashlight.CFrame = hRP.CFrame * CFrame.new(0, 0, 2)-- offset
end)

just replace camera script if you have to.

4 Likes

As @InfiniteYield said, a solid GUI on screen Make it look liek a solid fog background with a clear triangle cut out and blurred edges between the solid and clear sections.
Put the GUI on screen and center it to the player’s Position. figure out where the player is pointing on screen and rotate the GUI.

The other option is if the camera is alway directly above the player then place a SurfaceGUI or decal on a Transparent Part with the same wedge shaped fog image. Position it in the workspace so it’s directly above the player, or even weld it to the player make it a small Part with a BlockMesh in it to make the fog extend off the screen so the edges are never visible.

2 Likes

Roblox doesn’t have custom shader support, so your options are:

* Normally the darkness would be black, though there might be lighting settings or post processing Instances to change the color of the darkness to make it look like misty lighter fog

The respective posts are the solutions. There aren’t other ways to do this (besides beams or semi-transparent meshes and other overly complicated, equally or less functional solutions than the ones above).

1 Like

did you know you can use negative lighting in future? it will make anything it touches completely black. this could work, although it is bad quality.

2 Likes

he means use ui that looks like fog, and make it go around the player. this is unreliable, however.

1 Like

It would also work to have everything dark to start then use a spot light in the forward direction.

That is actually super cool though.

1 Like

ik, but the spotlight could easily not work. for one thing, it could lag and make the player walk into it. same for my idea though.

2 Likes

The spotlight instance could be placed in an attachment positioned above the humanoid root part. Then the light would go in the direction of the player.

The player could also be marked as CastShadow = false, then the character wouldn’t block the spotlight and it could be placed directly in the HRP.

Having a spotlight shouldn’t cause any performance issues, they’re used all the time in games.

I think the OP is okay with the player seeing themselves. The spotlight would be inside the player, so it would move with them as they walk.

Do you mean with low graphics settings the lighting wouldn’t render the darkness properly so they could still see? I guess a UI could be used on the edges to make sure this doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

ik, but on low graphics you could walk into it and see yourself.

1 Like

The effect is good, the only problem is that the player should be clearly visible, and the light should not reflect so much on the player.

• This circle is a lantern that I added, don’t worry.

1 Like

I decided to add another block that shines over my head but the effect is meager but not too bad. Does anyone have a better idea?

1 Like