Please open up the Classic Head, and Classic Faces UGC Marketplace categories for artists to upload to

As a UGC creator the only way to upload Classic Heads and Classic Faces is by uploading them as accessories, or by bypassing Dynamic Head animation checks, however both of these have their issues:

1. Uploading heads/faces as accessories means that they do not support avatar colours.
  2. Uploading non-animated heads to the Dynamic Head category makes it harder for customers to find real animated heads.
  3. Uploading non-animated heads to the Dynamic Head category is technically against the guidelines.
  4. Dynamic Heads do not allow makeup.

Classic Heads, and Classic Faces categories already exist. Opening these categories would create a whole new market for artists. It feels like a no-brainer to open up these categories to contribute to the marketplace, and enable more artists to earn on the platform.

If this is addressed it would:

1. Improve the searchability of the marketplace.
  2. Make basic bundles easier for new artists to create.
  3. Make heads and 2d faces that properly support avatar colours a possibility.
  4. (might) Alleviate unanimated heads in the Dynamic Head category.
  5. Create new opportunities to earn for the talented 2D, and 3D artists in the Roblox Community.
46 Likes

Since the accessory workaround requires you to pay a separate upload fee for every variant, many creators will only upload their faces in light skin tones. People of color get less options because some creators won’t spend the extra robux to offer an inclusive range of skin tones. This has been happening for over three years now, and could easily be solved from the ground up by opening up Classic Face uploads.

9 Likes

At RDC24, I pitched up the idea of custom or preset FACS interpolation types besides linear interpolation (e.g. stepped interpolation). I feel like if Roblox is really adamant about wanting to make heads/faces dynamic, this could be a decent option for bridging the gap of making animated 2D faces that don’t look as jarring as they are. Aside from that there are still limitations with what is achievable and you make great points about not allowing makeup, searchability, unanimated heads in the Dynamic Head category, etc. I would like to see the support of actual classic heads and 2D faces on the avatar marketplace.

4 Likes

Completely sick of the dynamic heads category being flooded with pixelated ripped anime faces and generic emotes on a head mesh. If there’s anything cool in this category, I can’t bloody find it.

2D faces are not going away, it would be great if we could tailor the platform to the overwhelming desires of the artists and players using it!

10 Likes

I 100% agree with these changes and I would love to see these categories opening up for UGC.
We need these to be UGC categories. I don’t know many people who wear dynamic heads unironically, or just because they have no other alternative. People who enjoy dynamic heads will have a better time finding animated heads and people who don’t enjoy this feature, will finally have a market.

I really don’t like dynamic and animated heads, and I have a very hard time discovering new static faces because they don’t change skin tones, and they can’t work on all head shapes.

I understand Roblox want’s to have dynamic heads over classic heads, but why can’t both co-exist? There’s people who hate animated heads, and dislike the uncanny vibes these heads have in-games.
We shouldn’t be forced to use dynamic heads, perhaps, people would also enjoy dynamic heads more if it wasn’t forced on them

1 Like

Roblox hasn’t uploaded classic faces and classic heads for a long time, and you probably know how much they’ve been pushing dynamic heads for character design. Plus, why would they direct UGC creators to something they’ve stopped doing? Literally, all the classic faces are gradually going offsale, and Roblox now wants to see them on dynamic heads. From a logical perspective, the chance of your request being fulfilled doesn’t seem very likely at the moment.

How do you think this situation looks from Roblox’s perspective? Let me explain—everyone is buying ‘half head’ dynamic heads to get a fake headless, and they’re breaking sales records (all of them are at the top of best-selling). At the end of the day, Roblox is making a huge profit from dynamic heads. (I got into the half-head market myself and was making 800k to 1 million Robux a day—lowkey crazy.) And Roblox automatically concludes that dynamic heads are something everyone loves because people are buying and using them, etc. The only thing they’ll do from here on is invest more in dynamic heads. They are already bringing in an absurd amount of money, and I can easily say from my own experience how vast their market is—the statistics speak for themselves.

A large collection of the heads in the ‘dynamic heads’ section aren’t rigged up correctly (like the half-heads you mentioned) for them to be used in the way Roblox intends for them to be used - cluttering the category with heads that do not correctly support FaceControls, and making it harder for customers to find the types of assets they’re looking for.

It’s unlikely that this request will be fulfilled, but it’s worth a try! :man_shrugging:

I don’t see the harm in opening up some categories that already exist though. It’s more opportunities for both Roblox, and creators to make money.

1 Like

At least it’s more realistic than those asking for UGC creators to be able to upload things like animation packs, emotes, or accessories with effects, I mean.