Please rewrite "PlayerListManager"

The performance is abysmal. Take microprofiler dumps from any game and check it out. At times, that script runs worse than all PS99 scripts combined. Please consider rewriting PlayerListManager efficiently. I see performance complaints dating back to 2020.

23 Likes

I’m sorry to put it this way but it’s nothing less of a disgrace on Roblox’s part that these performance issues, along with similar ones relating to the new TextChatService have gone without a fix for so damn long. This is a duplicate report but I hope it doesn’t get taken down, maybe once they get 500 reports of the same issue they’ll start to take action.

Let me go ahead and list all of the reports on this very issue that have gone unanswered, or answered but not resolved up until now:

10s of posts with hundreds of combined likes/replies on each one, with the first report being filed a year ago. Devs have provided the info asked for by engineers in some of the threads listed, but still no response. Hell, the issue even occurs when the entire leaderboard is disabled, and I know for a fact this wouldn’t take years to fix.

@CharlieGordonnn Hey, you’ve been awesome in addressing my previous issues with UI changes causing unintended issues, but could we please get some action on this? You did say you were investigating but we’re being ghosted now which is disappointing.

@music_man1996 This is one of many examples of important bugs going unanswered. Can we get some urgent action on this?

14 Likes

If it is what I think it probably appear when player hold keyboard button and rotates the camera.

Only keyboard arrows not cause this.

2 Likes

I don’t understand; why is this so much of a problem? My understanding is that this manages the player tab list thing. That is a super duper basic script.

Correct me if im wrong, but is it not as simple as using player.added to add a name and player.removing to remove a name?

4 Likes

I’ve posted many times regarding this, which is ignored even though staff is active on the topic

I’m sure staff themselves play Roblox, are they not noticing that something is off?

6 Likes

They also have to take care of resizing when the window changes/rotates.

…And they do that in the most inefficient way possible:

So that’s why it lags horribly when I resize the window!

Roblox, just make a CoreScripts repository for people to contribute to. It is clear some Lua engineers have never touched the Roblox API before.

10 Likes

It definitely becomes irritating when literally half of the performance issues within our games, especially on low-end devices, are a direct result of Roblox’s non-performant code. A lot of the time when I check the Micro Profiler or even the Script Profiler tool the Roblox CoreScripts are the ones taking up the most resources. The worst part about it is that most of these aren’t even old code - the player list is relatively new code and the brand new TextChatService has its own set of performance issues (some of which still haven’t been fixed).

5 Likes

Ye. This PlayerListManager happens when u rotating camera with right click and hold any keyboard key then u see FPS drop but when u still rotating cam and click key again FPS back to normal.

Now imagine games with locked first person camera because cam is always rotating. And they always have 2x less FPS.

For ChatExperienced blabla on post some guy showed how he was just entering chat with cursor and FPS were dropping.

Really Roblox knows aboit first case because there is topic i wrote this and some guys tested it Roblox stuff month ago said he send ticket but really what they doing there.
IT’S a JOKE

1 Like

Hi all, thanks for reporting this and weighing in with a lot of details. Wanted to give an update on our side that we are actively working on performance issues here and investigating.

6 Likes

I know you might not be able to answer this, but has the been any consideration on creating a GitHub repository for the CoreScripts and PlayerModules so people can help contribute?

We used to have this, but it got canned silently. I believe bringing back crowdsourcing for at least the purpose of optimizing will be hugely beneficial.

5 Likes

cc: @califunforall

An open source approach would be viable here but how much of Roblox’s internal tooling would need to be removed or limited, before they can do this, it took ages to get open source mirrors of Roblox’s internal libraries for this very reason.

i still want roblox cli though :frowning:

1 Like