PlayerListManager unnecessarily eats up CPU time

When micro profiling our games, we notice PlayerListManager eats up significant heartbeat CPU time.

This can be observed on any device you test on. This occurs regardless of having any leader stats inside of the player instance. And regardless of the PlayerList Core GUI being enabled.

This is a screenshot of the frame time we observed in Drive World. It is taking up neatly 60ms in this single screenshot. Can be observed by joining any server and looking at the heartbeat step breakdown.

In Drive World specifically, each player has a leaderstat folder and 4 IntValues. Each IntValue has a “Priority” int value to set the sort order for the player list. We have observed this being an issue in several other top Roblox games, regardless of if they are using the Roblox PlayerList at all.

Expected behavior

PlayerList should be performant and not take up more time than what the game logic is doing.

34 Likes

A staff response here would be great.

Roblox just launched on PS4 (with low FPS) and this script is taking up nearly 2ms per frame. That’s like 10% of the CPU budget being used up by a corescript.

This is essentially malware being forced into every game!

9 Likes

To add onto this ExperienceChatMain also eats up performance even if you don’t use the chat.

2 Likes

Would like to bump this again, since I see it causing issues every time I run a micro profile on any device I test on. Can we get an official response here?

6 Likes

Tsunami Game is also seeing this. Whenever anyone has a stat change (such as points, which update frequently), it causes thousands of indexes to Player.TeamColor and Team.TeamColor. There are only 3 teams with up to 30 players.

Edit: This one is especially annoying - I can only reproduce the issue in live servers. A live server of 8 players can have frame times of >30ms due to these thousands of indexes because of this while 12 clients in Studio, locking my 8-core CPU to 100%, shows a couple dozen of these TeamColor indexes.

Edit 2: Issue observed in a live server with only 5 3 2 players.

Edit 3: Issue observed in a live server, eventually getting down to only me.

8 Likes

This bug is happening on jailbreak

2 Likes

I’m not getting as high of a ms as you guys, but the lag spikes are quite annoying:

4 Likes

Happening to me too

1 Like

This is still happening and performance has not improved. In our game Tropical Resort Tycoon 2 the player list is consistently using up more CPU time than the entirety of the rest of the game.

1 Like

Happening here as well! Seems to be taking up the most time in my experience when toggling core gui? “GetCameraDevices” takes around 4-5ms in total.

1 Like

Can someone please at least tell us what this is :confused:

Getting big spikes from PlayerListManager and also ExperienceChatMain in this game

3 Likes

It’s happening to my game as well, any solutions?

1 Like

I may be wrong but I believe PlayerListManager and SettingsHub are only there when you have developer access to the game.

ExperienceChatMain was the new chat system though. Since reverting to the old roblox chat I don’t see these spikes anymore.

1 Like

I was getting those issues even on accounts without developer access

1 Like

It’s sad that we don’t get any news for a long time now, it’s still happening (like Chat and Menu performance problems)

3 Likes

Hey everyone, thanks for bumping. We’re aware of this one and we’ll get back to you as soon as we have an update.

5 Likes