Plugin Marketplace Program - Open to All ID/Phone Verified Creators

SIM swapping is mainly performed by contacting support, and besides, if I’m understanding the definition of physical SIM swapping correctly, iPhones have the functionality to transfer an eSIM to a new phone, so how’s that going to help?

1 Like

Well you would still need a password to enter the phone in the first place, and passwords are forced when you get an iPhone. So transferring it would only really be able to be done from the phone if you do a bad job at password protecting it.

But yeah, either way SIM swapping is a problem. I was just pointing out that eSIMs are a bit safer for the security issue.

2 Likes

In the real world, most software development tools have a price or require a percentage of your profits. If you really want access to a tool without paying for it, then just make it yourself.

1 Like

Throwaway phone numbers? Or have you forgotten that you need an ID to get a phone number in the first place? Better yet, what if I told you Discord have already circumvented hundreds of thousands of VOIP type numbers and are already detecting a known pattern to distinguish between a real one and a fake “throwaway”, if you will. Why would you assume Roblox didn’t think of implementing such a security mechanism if Discord has already proven the possibility of one?
Unless you have sources to backup your claim, or you’re a key witness to such a vulnerability (Having done a verification in Roblox using a VOIP number), I suggest you reconsider a change of position in this argument and start treating phone verified users equally the same as ID verified users…

Whether or not you can prove of such a possibility, in the end I don’t trust Roblox putting “trust” into some third-party company in handling our data, chances where a breach should occur in these systems - hundreds of children’s identity passports/bio-metric data get leaked out into the open web for everybody to see… It is a scary thought, no matter how many times Roblox spams “anonymized tokens”, I’ll never trust anybody to handle my identity papers to the hands of others. This is just a simple case of privacy and security.

2 Likes

There is not. I am guessing that is why you must be either ID or phone verified even though that is not hard to bypass at all.

1 Like

I’ve a part of the program for a long time now, and I agree!

I think it’s a bad idea to give basically everyone access to the plugin marketplace. A lot of fake/virus plugins will be uploaded and they will be accessible from Studio as well!

I don’t see how phone/ID verification proves you are a good plugin developer. This is a huge step backwards. I think manual invitation is still the best solution.

I don’t want the copies of my plugins accessible from Studio.

3 Likes

I was discussing this privately with another member, and I think what needs to happen is a switch to an application system like the UGC program.

These people don’t even have terms blocking their access if they upload malicious plugins.

2 Likes

I said in my opinion, so be mindful and respect it. Anyway, Roblox is a free software, why would we transform it into a pay to dev one?

1 Like

Most major development tools are “free,” but additional features and plugins are locked behind a paywall (this goes for Unreal Engine, Godot, Unity, etc). This is because plugin developers put hard work and time into creating genuinely helpful resources that improve a workflow for both themselves and others. If they choose to make it free, they can, but if they want to be compensated for their work, that is more than fair.

Rather than seeing it as “pay to dev,” see it as “pay for easier workflow.”

I just don’t see why your opinion would be reasonable or fair.

1 Like

Great update! Seems nice.

I’d also add more security to plugins, as it is extremely easy to steal them.

Just simply use insertservice in studio.

1 Like

Anything that a client (player/dev) can use/access must be stored on the client side. It’s similar to how people can steal maps from games. It’s something the video game industry can’t solve.

2 Likes

As far as I know, the company they are using is Veriff, which is used internationally, plus encrypts their data and removes it when needed.

I wouldn’t call it a random third-party company, especially when many other big companies use it too. They are extremely safe and secure with their data, so I don’t know why you would think it’s harmful to give them your ID. Even if there was a data leak of Veriff, I don’t believe any of the data could actually be used. At the end though, it’s all your choice.

I don’t understand why my opinion infuriates you guys so much. Why would a donation system not work for the best?
I think, Roblox should push the developers to make contents accessible to most and not for selfish motives. Back then, things like hiring people, paying adds etc were very marginal. Creators were making and publishing contents, only by passion and not by pure pecuniary interest.

I didn’t say plugin developers should not be rewarded, Roblox surely can do it themselves : by analysing the number of downloads, premium users etc…

Boatbomber, a popular plugin & open source developer always puts donation links under every resource he posts, yet, he doesn’t get that much from it.

Additionally, how come earning from our own work considered selfish?

1 Like

Can’t people just use random phone numbers they find on the Internet? :thinking:

I doubt you could get banned for doing this.

1 Like

Well I agree. I dont have a smartphone so no number to verify.

Remember, development work is work, not a game. Very few people will actually pay for something unless forced to, and the people who make plugins don’t have an incentive unless they can get paid. If you wanna make things for free, go ahead, but don’t suggest that others should be forced to do the same.

Plugin developers are given the same tools you are, they’re just being paid for the time they spent to do the work for you. Think of it like a commission for a script. I don’t think many people would want to do a commission for free.

Just because you have an opinion does not mean others must agree. I’m sorry if this was more aggressively worded than I intended, but keep in mind that I am criticizing the idea, not you.

also Adobe charges 120 dollars yearly for a PDF editor. Professional software has professional prices. Get used to it.

5 Likes

The number needs to be able to receive texts, and you need to be able to see the content of that text.

2 Likes

Veriff just sends a hash generated off the ID to Roblox, then the ID is deleted after a certain legally required period.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite updates!!!